Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to stop OSX Mountain Lion from freezing

During the time Mountain lion was avalable in beta, i downloaded several builds and installed them on my mac mini withough any issue. as soon as the GM was released and installed, I begain noticing my mac would hang if i left it for awhile and came back to it. It simetimes even freezes while im using it, only giving me the beachball.

After ML was oficially released, i completely reformatted my hard drive, installed the final version, and imported my things back from a backup external hard drive. It still freezes all the time.

Next I ran Onyx and clean/repaired everything, deleted my user account and made a new one, and uninstelled alot of apps I though might be an issue. Still no luck, what to do? Im thinking about downgrading to lion....maybe his is a hardware issue but I doubt it.

Mac mini (Mid 2011), OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Aug 3, 2012 9:20 AM

7 replies

Aug 3, 2012 10:32 AM in response to Nick 9191

Open Activity Monitor in Applications>Utilities, select All Processes & sort on CPU%, any indications there?

How much RAM & free space do you have also, click on the Memory & Disk Usage Tabs.

Open Console in Utilities & see if there are any clues or repeating messages when this happens.

In the Memory tab, are there a lot of Pageouts?

User uploaded file

Aug 14, 2012 9:17 PM in response to Linc Davis

Im sorry, I dont know very much about console. Where should I look on it and what exactly am I looking for.

On a side note: I just got the mac mini back from repair at a local apple store, they told me the hard drive was bad and causing the hang, and they replaced it, but after I got it back (today) I found it hanging like it always had been. Not a complete freeze, but it beach balls and wont respond to any clicks.

Aug 14, 2012 11:01 PM in response to Nick 9191

The next time you have the problem, note the exact times when it starts and ends: hour, minute, second.

If you have more than one user account, these instructions must be carried out as an administrator.

Launch the Console application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Console in the page that opens.

Make sure the title of the Console window is All Messages. If it isn't, select All Messages from the SYSTEM LOG QUERIES menu on the left.

Scroll back in the log to the time you noted above. Post any messages timestamped during that interval – the text, please, not a screenshot.

Important: Some private information, such as your name, may appear in the log. Edit it out by search-and-replace in a text editor before posting.

Nov 6, 2012 9:41 AM in response to Nick 9191

I have excactly the same problems on my MacBook Pro (Mid 2009, 4GB RAM, 500GB Hitachi - <2 years old, <50% full). Mountain Lion (ML) freezes all the time and reboots extremly slow. It happens, that the menu bar won't be loaded, too.

I clean-installed ML already several times without any improvements. I can use the system half of a day without problems and then, out of a sudden, it freezes and it's not usable anymore. I found out that every time before the system begins to freeze, dublicating files isn't possible and r/w error codes appear (error -50 and/or notification "not enough hard drive space"). Downloading and installing isn't possible from then on, too. First, I though my HDD is dying. But every disk utility HDD check (doesn't matter whether checking access rights or volume and whencever I did it, USB boot or recovery partition) runs through without problems. S.M.A.R.T. status is fine.

Linc Davis, I will try to get some data out of the log, when it happens again and hopefully, we can find a solution.

How to stop OSX Mountain Lion from freezing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.