Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Homesync screwed up!

I've decided to turn off homesync as it was more trouble than it was worth and my users aren't as mobile as expected!

I've turned all mobility settings off in workgroup manager (for users and machines), but users still have a homesync icon in the status bar! Even the local admin user!

I've tried removing ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.homeSync.plist, but when the user logs in again, the system recreates it!

Where is the system wide setting? I don't want to be told to use workgroup manager, I want an option that can be set with defaults or another shell command!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion, One for each family member

Posted on Aug 3, 2012 2:02 PM

8 replies

Aug 3, 2012 4:22 PM in response to chris.cam

If it's re-appearing every login, you will have to fix it in Workgroup Manager. Make sure you've set the Mobility settings to never... EACH TAB, especially the tab that says Show in Menu Bar. Then log back out and in on the relevant workstations. I'm assuming they are bound to the directory and you used Workgroup Manager to set the setting in the first place?

A good trick for seeing the defaults value for anything that Workgroup Manager can set via its GUI, is to make the setting, click done, and on the main Preference view (where it shows the Mobility and other icons), click the Details tab and you can view the entire manifest you have configured. For what you're looking for, the domain is com.apple.mcxMenuExtra, the key is HomeSync.menu and the value is a boolean, so in theory, the appropriate defaults usage would be:

defaults wrote com.apple.mcxMenuExtra HomeSync.menu -bool NO

But again, if it's re-appearing every login, that's only gonna satisfy you until the next login.

Aug 4, 2012 12:54 AM in response to chris.cam

One way to check for sure to see if a workstation is seeing it as a managed setting it to open System Profiler, scroll to Managed Client in the left sidebar and see if there are any settings there being pushed. If so, that has to be resolved. If not, command-dragging it off the toolbar should get rid of it. Maybe make sure it isn't still a Login Item for those users too.

Aug 5, 2012 2:08 PM in response to jaydisc

I had to do both your suggestions to get things sorted. Things mostly behaved themselves after flushing the caches (and deleting the MCX settings), but had to do the command-dragging to get things back to normal.

Incidentally, a number of "gripes" from other users disappeared after I decided to flush the caches on all the Macs!

Looks like something was causing the cache to not be correctly refreshed when I updated settings in the Workgroup Manager. After backing off on using it, I may try it again on a controlled environment.

Aug 5, 2012 3:31 PM in response to jaydisc

I've considered that and started experimenting, but Lion Server was so unstable after the upgrade that I didn't want to risk it (it was months, and multiple updates, before I could even reliably start profile manager!)! I've heard that Mountain Lion has similar upgrade issues, so at the moment, I'm keeping the server on Lion and not touching things!

When I'm happy things are stable, I'll start playing with profile manager again and try moving one Mac over.

Migrating to Lion is a different matter at the moment!

Homesync screwed up!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.