Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB 3.0 Drive on MacBook Pro with retina display

I am attempting to use an Oyen Digital Minipro external drive enclosure, that contains a Seagate Momentus XT 750GB drive. This is my first try with USB 3 on my new MacBook Pro with Retina display. I have upgraded OS X to Mountain Lion.

The drive will connect and function for a very short amount of time (and file transfer) then unmount. The enclouse has a short (18" or so) cable. I have tried both USB ports, and with both the USB and power dongle connected. Drive continues to unmount.

Wireless seems to act up as well when the drive is connected, although if I use the righthand USB port and separate it from the computer, the signal seems ok.

Anyway, can't seem to get this to work. I would like to have the USB 3 functionality, ESPECIALLY on this "top of the line" MacBook. It seems a little silly to have to write this about an Apple product.

Does anyone know for sure if Apple has acknowledged these issues on the rMBP? Are they really working on a fix? Is there a fix?

Just ordered a thunderbolt drive setup and I hope it works.

Any shared experiences would be appreciated. And some concrete knowledge about any updates coming from Apple.

Thanks!

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion, 16 GB RAM, 512 Flash Storage

Posted on Aug 3, 2012 9:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 3, 2012 10:45 PM

There have been numerous reports of problems with the USB 3.0 ports on the 2012 models - both Retina and non-Retina. There was a 'fix' that was issued before ML was released that seemed to have solved some problems but not all. ML was supposed to be the real 'fix' and I've not seen too many post about USB 3.0 problems lately. It just seems as if some drives work and some don't. Apple did issue a tech note about using USB 3.0 ports - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5172#12 - but I'm not sure that it will help you or not.

I've not read of any problems with TB storage devices, so you'll likely be OK there. It's just those USB 3.0 devices that seemed to be causing some kinks.

Clinton

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 3, 2012 10:45 PM in response to DWD2112

There have been numerous reports of problems with the USB 3.0 ports on the 2012 models - both Retina and non-Retina. There was a 'fix' that was issued before ML was released that seemed to have solved some problems but not all. ML was supposed to be the real 'fix' and I've not seen too many post about USB 3.0 problems lately. It just seems as if some drives work and some don't. Apple did issue a tech note about using USB 3.0 ports - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5172#12 - but I'm not sure that it will help you or not.

I've not read of any problems with TB storage devices, so you'll likely be OK there. It's just those USB 3.0 devices that seemed to be causing some kinks.

Clinton

USB 3.0 Drive on MacBook Pro with retina display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.