Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ISync and Treo 700w?

I have been researching new phones/pdas. I just bought a macbook pro with Isync and I want to know if I purchase the treo 700w if I will be able to use my Ical and Address book easily or if there is another phone/pda that I should be looking at. The Advantage of the treo 700w is that it will get REAL internet not that crappy cell phone internet. If there is a SIMPLE way to have a treo 700w and a mac comunicate will you please tell me. If not let me know what kind of cell phones/pdas I should be looking at.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.4.5)

Posted on Mar 24, 2006 11:22 PM

3 replies

Mar 25, 2006 11:08 AM in response to Jen_in_AK

Even with it's WAP limitations, the Blazer browser on a Palm OS device is superior to Internet Explorer on a Windows Mobile device. Screen resolution and the quality of page rendering come to mind… And, the requirement to have to reconnect after an idle time of 20 to 30 seconds is annoying, and if it happens often enough, completely eliminates the speed advantage of the Internet Explorer.

On the other hand, the Verizon-provided Treo 700w uses the network's EVDO broadband link to browse, offering a huge speed advantage. Ah, but that idle time issue…

Future releases of the Treo family for Palm and possibly Linux are expected to take advantage of 'mobile broadband' provisioning like EVDO. Palm has announced that it will deliver four Treo devices in 2006, and only one is likely to be a Windows Mobile device.

No Windows Mobile device of any kind is supported by iSync directly. You'll need to use a third party application from Mark/Space or Information Appliance Associates. Both companies offers products—the Missing Sync for Windows Mobile and PocketMac—which support Windows Mobile devices, but neither support Windows Mobile 5 yet. Both companies have promised free, near term releases of their current applications to support units like the Treo 700w.

Given the near term release of additional Treo models, I would tend to wait to see what happens in the next sixty to ninety days before purchasing a Treo. And, given the current situation, you have to want to use Verizon as a carrier, though future Palm OS devices are likely to be offered by Cingular [or ATT, as they are soon to be known as again] and T-Mobile, in addition to Verizon in the US.

Apr 21, 2006 8:36 AM in response to Jen_in_AK

I've been trying to get the Treo 700w to work on my Mac, but it's been a futile task. I've tried Virtual PC and also the alpha version of Mark/Space's Missing Sync for Windows Mobile. As a Mac user, I'd suggest you opt for either the Treo 650 or wait for the Treo 700p. I expect you'll see the release of the 700p on Sprint in May and Verizon to follow. It looks as if the Treo Hollywood is going to run Windows Mobile as well and debut on Cingular. If you're still considering the Treo 700w and Treo 650, I've done a pretty exhaustive write up comparing the two at http://www.everythingtreo.com/treo-700w-review/

Good luck with whatever Treo you choose.

ISync and Treo 700w?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.