Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Final cut support

I edited a sequence together in final cut, exported the video and audio seperetaly and put them in together in a dvd burning app. On the dvd the audio sync with the video was fine. Then I relized that I had no use for the render files or footage, so I deleted those. About a month later I wanted to upload it to the web, so I brought the audio and video back in to final cut, exprted the video and audio together (one single .mov file) for obvious reasons. I watched that and the audio was coming at least 1/3 after it should have to mach up with the video. The audio was even late in the sequence, but I'm using the right frame right sequence. Why is this happening?

Final cut pro 5-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Aug 4, 2012 12:30 AM

7 replies

Aug 4, 2012 8:41 AM in response to finalcutenthusiast1

Then I relized that I had no use for the render files or footage, so I deleted those. About a month later I wanted to upload it to the web, so I brought the audio and video back in to final cut,

you deleted video files but you were able to get videofrom some where to import into FCP.

what video is this, where did you get it, what CODEC is this video you are now using?

Aug 4, 2012 12:43 PM in response to finalcutenthusiast1

your export procedure should have been:

file > export > Quicktime Movie > current settings > self contained

The exported file would have had the same CODEC as the timeline with the video and audio tracks locked together in sync. A work around is to unlink the timeline ( shift L ) then slip the audio track untill it is visually in sync with the video. Link the timeline again when finished. You may need to edit the video to compensate for audio drift throughout the track.

Aug 5, 2012 6:09 AM in response to finalcutenthusiast1

The sound starts out in sync but after a min or so it starts getting ahead of the video. Sliding the track around would would sync it in one place but not in the other.

Yes correct, but you first sync up the start of the video by slipping the audio to match the video.

Then place edit points in the video track where the audio starts to go out of sync ( ctrl V )

Then increase or decrease the duration of the video between the edit points in sections using the ripple tool ( r ) at the new edit points to alter the over all length of the video in the timeline, but keeping the existing duration of the audio.

You edit the video to match the audio because its easier and quicker than changing the audio, but you can also do a bit of both.

Final cut support

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.