You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

DHCP Client ID of the Airport itself?

Hello, In Airport Utility 5.X on Mac and Windows I can open it up and go to the Internet tab to change the DHCP Client ID of the Airport Extreme itself, which allows it to select a particular IP for iteself from the broader network. I'm refering to a level higher than using the DHCP Client ID of a computer to get a specific IP from the Airport. I just got a new Mac Mini with OS 10.8 so the Airport Utility 5.x doesn't run on it, I have to use Airport Utility 6.1. When I open up the new Airport Utility 6.1 and go to the Internet tab, there is no longer a field for setting the DHCP Client ID of the Airport itself. When I open up the older Airport Utility on my old machines, the field is still there. Anyone know why access to this field was removed in the new software? Thank you.

Mac mini, Other OS

Posted on Aug 4, 2012 6:13 AM

5 replies

Aug 4, 2012 6:32 AM in response to loïcfernandezcastrillon

You are correct that I can put in a manual IP, but in order to reserve that IP on my larger router, I have to be able to assign a DHCP Client ID to the Airport below it, similar to entering that information into the Airport for the client machines below it to assign static numbers to computers. I'm not sure how to create a screenshot file on OSX yet. Thanks.

Aug 4, 2012 6:58 AM in response to loïcfernandezcastrillon

Here is an example, I also use the DHCP Client ID field to specify the location of each Airport so I can know which one I'm seeing on my larger router. In this example, Airport Utility 5.6 shows the DHCP Client ID Field where I'm able to assign this device a Room number for it's location. The second screen shot is on the new Mac Mini with OSX 10.8 and Airport Utility 6.1, that field does not show. The third screen shot is what opens if you click the Internet Options button in the second screen shot. I've checked all screens in the new version and didn't see that field.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

DHCP Client ID of the Airport itself?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.