Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wifi/System Preferences Freezes After Waking From Sleep Mode.

Every since I installed Mountain Lion, I've had the issue of my MacBook Pro freezing up while it checks for Wifi after waking up from sleep mode. I have to constantly restart my computer. I'm wondering if Apple is aware of this happening on other computers and not just mine.

Also, my laptop is considerably slower since installing the OS update, especially when I turn on my computer.

- Rog

MacBook Pro (13-inch Late 2011), OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Aug 4, 2012 8:38 AM

25 replies

Aug 5, 2012 7:51 AM in response to RogNeal

Same here. Very frustrating and disappointing. I too have to reboot after the computer wakes from sleep and the networking component freezes up. Network preferences and even clicking on the wifi menu bar further crash the system requiring a hard rreboot. I've gone as far as to remove the wifi config for the Airport Extreme here at home and rejoin but that did not remedy the problem. it does not happen all the time, but maybe 75% of the time. Anyone else see this happening after upgrading to Mountain Lion. I'm using a late 2011 MBP 15" with 2.5GHz Intenl Core i7

Aug 5, 2012 9:52 AM in response to sharpmachine

sharpmachine: I found an interesting thread where people who use the Transmit Disk Mounting MenuBar item (included with the Transmit app from Panic) discovered that perhaps, this component is part of the problem. So, I toook the advise of several posters and disabled the said Transmit menu and will report back if it solved my issues. If you are interested and want more info on this please visit this URL:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4148507?start=105&tstart=0

I'm glad I was not the only on experiencing this issue. One Google search releaved a plethora is complaints related this this matter.

Aug 6, 2012 8:46 AM in response to RogNeal

!!!!!!!!!!!So far only this has worked for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go to System Preferences -> Energy Saver -> and UNcheck the box that says "Put hard disk(s) to sleep when possible on BOTH the Battery and Power Adaptor tabs.

I had this issue when I first installed Mountion Lion on my Aluminum MB 2008. Thought it was 10.8 so I down graded to 10.7 Lion, issue still happened. But after I applied this setting the issue seemed to go away. Before this I also deleted the old wifi settings in Network Utilities and added the Wifi device, ssid, and wep key again (not using WPA2). I will continue testing through the night and will update once I can determine the issue is gone.

Hopefully this works for others too.

Wifi/System Preferences Freezes After Waking From Sleep Mode.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.