Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Extreme Double Nat Issue

I got this nice white box recently hoping to connect my 2TB hard drive to store all my documents that I could access from around the world via Back to Mac.

It all got set up fine and I added my apple id which was also added without any trouble in the airport utility

But finder wouldnt display any Back to Mac. I checked in the iCloud preferences and it says NAT is not enabled. So I go to Airport Utility and change it to DHCP and NAT from Bridge mode and now it shows WAN sharing option for the hard drive but 'DOUBLE NAT' error on the airport utility and iCloud Pref.

This is my setup:

A Wimax Modem *** Router - (I couldnt find a model name as it was provided by the ISP.)

Ethernet running to Airport Extreme which is set up as Bridge mode for now.

2TB hard drive connected via USB.

All other devices connected wireless.

AirPort Extreme 802.11n (5th Gen), OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Aug 4, 2012 10:25 AM

7 replies

Aug 4, 2012 10:34 AM in response to ledarknito

Just ignore the DOuble NAt error

Basically it means your router and the modem do teh same thing and thast normal behaviour

Your inter will still work for all device and you will be able to Backup and use the internet at the same time..

if it is in bridge mode you may be tempairally allow to get online but its will not last ands your back up will fial at some point ot nor fully complete

Aug 4, 2012 10:40 AM in response to kayewilkins

Thanks Kaye.

However, I want to use Back to My Mac option to access this hard drive from across the world when I travel. I am not worried about backing up to time machine as I dont really do it.

I only want to share my hard drive over the internet. But whatever I did is wrong as the Back to my Mac option is not coming up in finder. I checked in finder pref and it is fine as well.

Aug 4, 2012 10:52 AM in response to kayewilkins

Done. It says, "Set up router for better performance", Adding,"Back to my Mac is slow because NAT or UnPnP is not enabled, set it up in the router"

Now,I go down to my Wimax router but I dont have any option for turning these on.

So,when I go an enable it in the Airport Extreme, it says another device is enabled with NAT.

In the iCloud pref, it talks about the same error. 'Back to Mac' still not displayed in finder.

Aug 4, 2012 11:09 AM in response to kayewilkins

so i looked into the NAt and UnPnP

the apple router automictally allw thast to go through as apple make all the router leave all apple need port to allow homesharing/airplay/back to my mack to work.

Conact the mian router manufacture and see about perhaps turnign the wireless function off to remove the Double NAT and to Veriufiy it can support UnPnP

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1552?viewlocale=en_US

Airport Extreme Double Nat Issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.