Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am running aperture 2.1.4 and am considering purchasing the latest version. will my photos, projects, and folders etc. transfer over automatically ?

I am running aperture 2.1.4 and am considering purchasing the latest version. will my photos, projects, and folders etc. transfer over automatically ?

Aperture 2, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Aug 4, 2012 12:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 4, 2012 12:31 PM

will my photos, projects, and folders etc. transfer over automatically ?

Nearly automatically.

This will be a major upgrade, and Aperture will have to upgrade your library.

As a precaution, make sure you have a working backup of your library, and I'd keep a copy of the Aperture 2.1.4 Application installer as well.

Also it is recommended to repair the permissions and to rebuild the library, to make sure that the library has no corruptions before you upgrade.

Rename the Aperture Library to a name different from the default name before you upgrade.

Launch the new Aperture version by double clicking your Aperture library. Aperture will prompt you, that it is necessary to upgrade the library; let it run, this may take a while. And yes, you should find all your photos, projects, folders, etc. after the upgrade just as you imported and organized them.

Regards

Léonie

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 4, 2012 12:31 PM in response to Mark Joost

will my photos, projects, and folders etc. transfer over automatically ?

Nearly automatically.

This will be a major upgrade, and Aperture will have to upgrade your library.

As a precaution, make sure you have a working backup of your library, and I'd keep a copy of the Aperture 2.1.4 Application installer as well.

Also it is recommended to repair the permissions and to rebuild the library, to make sure that the library has no corruptions before you upgrade.

Rename the Aperture Library to a name different from the default name before you upgrade.

Launch the new Aperture version by double clicking your Aperture library. Aperture will prompt you, that it is necessary to upgrade the library; let it run, this may take a while. And yes, you should find all your photos, projects, folders, etc. after the upgrade just as you imported and organized them.

Regards

Léonie

Aug 4, 2012 12:44 PM in response to Mark Joost

Hi Mark,

Léonie said:

This is so highly recommended it should actually be included as part of the upgrade itself. Don't even think about skipping! (I'm assuming these actions are available w. v. 2.x -- I never used it.)

Aug 4, 2012 1:01 PM in response to léonie

They really should make it part of the upgrade. Just tell the user that the machine must be plugged in, shouldn't be used, and that the upgrade may take hours. Some dialog like "Please wait while we confirm that your Library can be upgraded without incident."

If it had been included with all upgrades, we would have avoided at least 1,000 posts here.

(OK: I found that number on a Post-it on my desk and decided if I used it I could then discard the Post-it. Done.)

Aug 15, 2012 5:05 AM in response to Mark Joost

Hello,

My apologies for the off-topic-ness but I have a question you might be able to help me with. I'm running Aperture 2 but I'd like to upgrade to Mountain Lion, and you seem to be the only person on the internet who's dared run such a combination of software… so I was wondering if you could tell me please if Aperture 2 runs OK on the latest operating system?

Aug 16, 2012 12:33 AM in response to Mark Joost

Hi Be3G,

Sorry for lateness of reply.

Aperture 2 started crashing on me on 'mountain lion' (for no apparent reason) also I couldn't use a third party editor (photoshop) and a couple of other things. It got to be a drag. I use aperture alot that is why I upgraded to aperture 3. I hope this helps. I had no problem transfering the files over from 2 to 3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.