Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SuperDrive on iMac Keeps Ejecting Discs

I've been having trouble with my early 2009 iMac's SuperDrive. Recently I'd been having trouble reinstalling a 3rd party app after ML upgrade, and the install CD was getting stuck. I did have to pop it out manually using a card to gently make it come out. Now the drive will only eject every disc I try to insert. Is the drive toast, or is there a way to koax the drive to take discs again without having to open the iMac? It's obviouosly out of AppleCare, so if I have to replace the SD, what should I get, and how much can I expect it to be to get someone to install it? This has been one **** of a computer and I want to keep everything on it running right, even with its age. I just need it to last about 2 more years, then I will be looking to upgrade. Also as an aside, will the external SuperDrive work on this kind of iMac? I know it's meant for use with the MBA and other notebooks, but I am curious if that could be an option for me in this situation. Thanks!

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion, early 2009 model

Posted on Aug 4, 2012 4:13 PM

3 replies

Aug 6, 2012 5:13 PM in response to BDAqua

Just for future reference, if I were to opt to replace the internal optical drive, what specific model am I looking for? I have seen several 8x SuperDrives for sale online reportedly compatible with my 20" iMac A1224 2.66GHz, but I have read some forum posts that not all will work correctly, even if they say they do. The replacement procedure looks quite simple, and I have the tools (except suction cups -- but I can easily find some).

Aug 6, 2012 5:58 PM in response to weaselmac73

I can't find any specific info...

Apple reports that the slot-loading 8X "SuperDrive" with 4X double-layer burning (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW) "writes DVD+R DL discs at up to 4x speed, writes DVD-R and DVD+R discs at up to 8x speed, writes DVD-RW at up to 6x and DVD+RW discs at up to 8x speed, reads DVDs at up to 8x speed, writes CD-R discs at up to 24x speed, writes CD-RW discs at up to 16x speed, [and] reads CDs at up to 24x speed."

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/specs/imac-core-2-duo-2.66-20-inch-al uminum-early-2009-specs.html

I think the matching the SATA speed is the most important factor.

SuperDrive on iMac Keeps Ejecting Discs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.