Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will migration assistant import my previous boot ROM version?

Hi. I've been reading these forums for a long time...first time posting.

I have a MacBook 5,2. It came with OS X 10.5. As far as I know, the latest boot ROM for 10.5 on a Macbook 5,2 is MB52.0088.B05 (EFI 1.4) (see http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1237).

A while ago, a friend convinced me to update to 10.6. Apparently, with the 10.6 install, it updated the boot ROM version to MB52.0088.B06. Now, I'm concerned that there is a firmware issue (which I might be wrong about, and the reason I think there is a firmware problem is very convoluted but I'll explain if you want). So I decided I wanted to go back to MB52.0088.B05. I had been thinking about going back to OS X 10.5 anyway. So, I backed up my system using Time Machine to a Time Capsule via ethernet. Then I did an Erase and Install with the original 10.5 install disc that came with my Macbook. Then, I used Migration Assistant to restore most of my system from the backup. I should have taken a look at the boot ROM version before I ran Migration Assistant...but I didnt.

The boot ROM version still says MB52.0088.B06.

I tried downloading the MB52.0088.B05 update and running it anyway, and it says my computer doesn't need the update. When I was still running 10.6, I did try the method described here: http://pubmem.wordpress.com/2011/04/09/flash-efi-firmware-update-manually-on-a-m acbook-51/ (which has apparently worked for someone else on a 5,2; see https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3747472?start=0&tstart=0), and it didn't work. I don't know if it's a good idea to try it again now.

So:

Why didn't my boot ROM go back to MB52.0088.B05 after a clean 10.5 install?

Did Migration Assistant import the previous boot ROM somehow?

Should I do another clean install without MA?

Should I try PubMem's manual method again?

Is there another way I can flack back the firmware?

Thanks a ton!

P.S. I posted this in the MacBook community as well. Don't get mad, I'm new. If that's against the rules, I'll take this one down.

Specs:

Model Name: MacBook

Model Identifier: MacBook5,2

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2.13 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 3 MB

Memory: 2 GB

Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

Boot ROM Version: MB52.0088.B06

SMC Version (system): 1.38f5

System Version: Mac OS X 10.5.8 (9L31a)

Kernel Version: Darwin 9.8.0

Time Capsule 802.11n (1st Gen), Mac OS X (10.5.8), Time Capsule 802.11n (1st Gen)

Posted on Aug 4, 2012 3:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 4, 2012 3:49 PM

Boot ROMs are firmware. Migration Assistant doesn't transfer firmware. Once you update firmware it can't go back to some previous version on its own. You would need to manually reprogram the ROMs with the old firmware.

1 reply

Will migration assistant import my previous boot ROM version?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.