Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS X 10.7.4 install issue

First of all, I am an idiot. I admit it. Here's what happened: When I installed Lion from the download, it scared the devil out of me because it seemed to totally erase 100 percent of my files. I spent a good week trying to recreate the files before I discovered that nothing had been erased. It was all there, but it was hidden on the other side of the screen. The install had created a new account called Ed Hooks New. Yeah, my old one was Ed Hooks. I noticed in the upper right hand corner that the account was Ed Hooks New, and so I clicked on it and was surprised to see a drop-down menu that contained my old Ed Hooks account. I opened that, put in my password and the entire ****** screen flipped around. I did not know what the heck was going on, but I realized at that point that I had two accounts.

Ever since then, the Ed Hooks New account has just sat there, un-used. Whenever I want to re-boot my computer, however, I have to flip the screen back around, log off of the Ed Hooks New account and then the Ed Hooks account.

Bottom line: I presume the Ed Hooks New account has newer bells and whistles than Ed Hooks account, but I do not know why. I do not need two accounts, and I want to get rid of one of them. What should I do? Should I transfer the data in Ed Hooks account into Ed Hooks New account? And, if so, how do I do that.

Sigh. I know, I know. Idiot. You can pin this one on your bulletin board and have a chuckle. But first, please tell me WHAT TO DO!!

Thanks.

Ed Hooks (the old one)

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Aug 4, 2012 4:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 4, 2012 5:13 PM

I don't see any idiot in what you did! 🙂

Open System Preferences>Accounts, unlock the lock, click on Login Options, choose Automatically login in as: Ed Hook.

Restart & test.

We could delete that other account & everything in it, but I always have a spare admin account for emergencies.

3 replies

Aug 5, 2012 8:08 AM in response to ed from chicago

Thank you, BDAqua! I did what you suggested. The automatic log-in was indeed set to Ed Hooks New, so I unlocked that and switched to my old account, Ed Hooks. When I restarted, I first got a mid-screen panel telling me that the "other users" might lose un-saved changes if I restart, and it wanted me to go get their permission to do it. I had an option, however, of overriding that requirement by logging in as the Administrator. Once I did that, it allowed me to restart.

I am not sure how to test it to see if this changed things, but I trust that it did. Thank you again. If that phantom account continues to haunt me after this, I will drop back by this forum. Thanks also for giving me the benefit of the doubt on the idiot thing. <g>

Ed

OS X 10.7.4 install issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.