Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Should I add RAM?

Hi all! I have a Macbook (2008) with 2 GB of RAM. The last few months it has been running sloooow - lots of clocking. Would I notice a significant increase in speed if I boost that RAM up to 4 GB (the maximum)? Or is the machine going to still run slow just because it is getting out of date (though is in otherwise excellent condition)? I have 8 GB in my 2010 iMac, and it is MUCH faster - but is that the RAM or the speedier components?

Thanks!

- BH

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Aug 4, 2012 6:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 4, 2012 7:45 PM

Insufficient RAM is only one possibility for what might be causing your MacBook to be slow. Another is available disk space. How much free space do you have on your hard drive? What operating system are you running on it?

6 replies

Aug 7, 2012 7:52 AM in response to laundry bleach

Thanks for the OWC link. They seem to have a good reputation. It is actually eaiser there to find the exact memory I need than it is on the Apple Store site. OWC uses the Model Identifier to find your memory, while Apple is using vague "family names" (like "Macbook Generation 6" or "Macbook White Enclosure" - both from around the same time period. How ... not helpful.) When I click on the should-be-right "family," the specs don't exactly match my computer, so I'm wary of getting the memory from Apple. Which is fine, OWC looks good! So, long story short, thanks again!

- BH

Should I add RAM?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.