Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

osx 10.8 blank screen when logging in

Hi All,

I'm a new mac user.

I have a mbpr (8/512) and when I boot up and log in, it always has a blank screen.

I press Apple + Q and a few other keys, they all seem to work because it makes a sound but the screen is always blank.

I then have to hold down power to shut it off. I turn it on again, on 2nd boot up and login, it says something like "some programs may have caused problems with your login in last time so press ok to proceed to login with these programs open or cancel to start fresh".

The thing is, i'm lucky if I get prompted with this because sometimes I have to repeatedly reboot the mac 3-4 times before it 'recognises' there was a problem and it asks me that question before logging in.

How do I troubleshoot this problem?

Thanks.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Aug 4, 2012 11:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 1, 2012 3:00 PM

I Also have this problem with my 2012 15" macpro, glad to hear i'm not the only one. Instead of hard shut down, I will press "command + option + power" and it will automatically restart, albiet very slow. I belive this is an OS problem? as this never happend before the I updated. Hope mac support reads this and adds this fix to next update.

Thanks,

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 1, 2012 3:00 PM in response to mars_bar

I Also have this problem with my 2012 15" macpro, glad to hear i'm not the only one. Instead of hard shut down, I will press "command + option + power" and it will automatically restart, albiet very slow. I belive this is an OS problem? as this never happend before the I updated. Hope mac support reads this and adds this fix to next update.

Thanks,

Sep 1, 2012 3:33 PM in response to Tofu_Cow

I am only passing on what I have read following experiencing similar issues with my r MBP, I visited the Apple store where the only option was to perform a reinstall as other than the black screen I could not get my Apple Mail working, after about 1 hour the was no obvious solution to the problem so the reinstall. There were two items that I read about that may have caused the problems, I was running the screen resolution at one stage up from the best for retina setting and it was suggested this may be causing me to experience the black screen, I migrated my settings over using the migration assistant, this was suggested as a possible cause as shortly after the latest OS upgrade included some improvements to migration assistent, Apple are a little vague as to what it fixed though. The computer has been perfect since then but I have not moved from the best for retina setting, as a Photoshop user moving from a 17" MBP I was missing the screen size hence moving up to the higher resolution, I will wait for Adobe to get their revised optimised for retina update out !

Sep 5, 2012 7:07 PM in response to mars_bar

I have a theory that this issue is connected to having two or more desktops open (via mission control) when I shut down. Lately I've closed my second desktop before shuting down and never had any issues on startup again, regardless of my resolution settings. If this is indeed causing the problem, I hope they fix it in the next update.

osx 10.8 blank screen when logging in

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.