Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I switch from a 32bit to 64bit Windows 7 on MacBook Pro

I have the latest Macbook Pro. I had to install bootcamp to download Windows 7 so I went to the apple store to have them help me get everything figured out. However, when installing, I only had a 16GB flashdrive so I selected the 32bit form of windows because 64bit wouldn't fit. I don't know what the difference is but I'm trying to install Microsoft Office on the Windows partition and it's saying I need 64bit.

If I downloaded Windows 7 Home Premium and selected 32bit, is there a way to upgrade to 64bit without purchasing anything (besides a bigger flashdrive)?

Please help I need to figure this out before school starts

MacBook Pro, Windows 7

Posted on Aug 5, 2012 4:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 5, 2012 4:53 AM

There is no upgrade path, you will have to do a clean install to get 64Bit.

18 replies

Aug 5, 2012 5:44 AM in response to WisdomTooth

Just to elaborate a little bit, when you buy windows in a retail box, you usually get 2 discs, one for 32-bit and one for 64-bit. So they are different products. Once you install one, eg the 32bit version, you will then need to reinstall the other 2 run that other product, eg 64bit windows.

When you paid for it, you might have been entitled to either or both copies, check that out.

Aug 5, 2012 7:53 AM in response to danielle042

You will need to buy another copy of Windows, buy the 64b or the full retail (which contains both, but costs more)

danielle042 wrote:

Does that mean my only option is to rebuy Windows 7.... there was an option to download the 64bit when i was installing the windows partition but i didn't have a big enough hard drive and the apple associate said it was ok.. but it's not.

Aug 5, 2012 7:56 AM in response to danielle042

danielle042 wrote:

yeah I was entitles to either, but I just downloaded it online so I didn't get any disks. I feel like since I was given the option after purchasing windows I would be able to switch without having to buy windows again but I'm not sure how

You were entited to either, but not both, you have taken delivery of your purchase, now you will need to buy 64bit version or buy the retail version (which contains 32 & 64bit versions)

Discuss your 'feelings' with Microsoft, it is their license.

How do I switch from a 32bit to 64bit Windows 7 on MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.