Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Manage "On My Mac" Contacts

After recent problems with iCloud resulting in loss of data, I am now entering contacts as "On My Mac". Before the default account was iCloud, so contacts were not on iMac when data was lost.

What I would like to do, if possible, is add new contacts (in default "On My Mac") and have them automatically added to iCloud. That way I will always have a copy on iMac secure. iMac backed up regualrly. Was a big pain getting contacts restored.

Bill

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Aug 5, 2012 9:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 5, 2012 10:26 AM

That is not possible, On My Mac contacts will not sync with the iCloud account, you can do it manually though.

The simplest method be to periodically export your local contacts to a vcard file then import the file into your icloud contacts.

5 replies

Aug 5, 2012 3:43 PM in response to Bill3

iCloud is not really a place to back up data but more of a place to share data between your devices. I also use CCC but also have a Time Machine back up running on another drive which does make recovering some data much easier. The cost of an extra drive to keep a Time Machine backup is well worth it and supplements a full CCC disk image quite well.

I am not very familiar with recovering Contacts from the file system and the individual cards may be in vairous places with a cryptic file names. To open your User Library folder with a Finder window open click the Go button in the menu bar then press the Option key on your keyboard to make "Library" appear. You'll find the contacts in User/Library/Application Support/AddressBook. The Mac's contacts should be in the Metadata folder, in Mountain Lion I found the iCloud account's contacts in the same place but in the Sources/"cryptic number folder"/Metadata. Each contact has a cryptic number name but you can see which ones they are using Quick Look.

Manage "On My Mac" Contacts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.