Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"cannot allocate memory" When trying to start a new project in FCPX

So I am I getting the "cannot allocate memory" error whenever I try to start a new project in FCPX

System specs:

Model Name: Mac Pro

Model Identifier: MacPro3,1

Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon

Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz

Number of Processors: 2

Total Number of Cores: 8

L2 Cache (per Processor): 12 MB

Memory: 8 GB

ATI Radeon HD 5870:

Chipset Model: ATI Radeon HD 5870

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

Slot: Slot-1

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 1024 MB

"Movies" folder is on a drive with about 120 GB free. The folder is not locked. Imovie uses the same folder, and that works.

The account is not a server account.

I've removed all preferences and all references to FCPX, reinstalled, no difference.

I have tried every suggestion on every apple support discussion thread, save reinstalling the OS, which I will not do. Nothing works.

FCPX won't let me select a default location for projects, either.

This is the only application on my system that doesn't work. Anyone have any suggestions?

Posted on Aug 5, 2012 10:32 AM

2 replies

Aug 5, 2012 1:55 PM in response to m4a3

I figured it out:

FCPX does not support NTFS drives, even with Paragon NTFS working perfectly for everything else on the system.

I guess Apple (just) assumes that nobody will, or should, be using any other filesystem than Mac with FCPX.

I wasted hours looking for a solution, when a better error message besides a misleading "cannot allocate memory" could have been something more useful.

Not impressed.

"cannot allocate memory" When trying to start a new project in FCPX

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.