Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screen sharing stopped working this week

I found my answer to this crisis this week, but it was in the iCloud forum, where I never would've actually looked... so if on August 2nd your mac's ability to screen-share suddenly stopped -- you were able to connect to your other macs, even access their hard drives, but you'd hang up on the "Connecting...." dialog -- here's the problem & the fix:

1) you are an old MobileMe customer! Go into System Prefs>MobileMe

2) click "Sign Out" & make sure you are signed out before closing System Prefs.

3) Try Screen Share again. Bingo, you're in.

I have no idea why this MobileMe signin affected my ability to share screens locally, but thanks to another brilliant user in the iCloud forum who figured this out, we now know the culprit!

Best,

Kirby

Posted on Aug 5, 2012 1:15 PM

12 replies

Aug 5, 2012 4:19 PM in response to EastcoasterWestcoaster

My iMac & MBP exhibited this malady. Bride's iMac opened "Share" in a few seconds, as usual. Her iMac did NOT have the MobileMe account.

YES! "Sign Out" in MobileMe prefs SOLVED the upset on both computers.

Don't remember Apple advising this "step" in closure of MobileMe. Possibly a "bug".

Another vote for having Apple Support Communities.

Thanks "E-W".

Aug 6, 2012 8:35 AM in response to EastcoasterWestcoaster

Under my system preferences I am not logged in to MobileMe. I did have an account at one point in time but I'm not signed in to it. I tried logging in to then log out and see if it would fix it but I can't login and am unsure if the password is even correct.

This is not only affecting Screen Sharing between Macs but my RDC connection to my Windows web server. Can anyone offer up any suggestions on what I could try to get this fixed?

Thanks

SkaFreaks

Aug 6, 2012 5:02 PM in response to EastcoasterWestcoaster

Just did that and still nothing. Here is my full setup and issue.

I have a G5 mac, an Intel Mac Book Pro, and a Remote Windows 2008 server.

Last week I could connect just fine from computer to computer with no problem. Now I can not connect from the MBPro to the G5 or the Windows computer. I can however connect from the G5 to the MBPro and the Windows computer.

Any suggestions?

Aug 6, 2012 5:53 PM in response to EastcoasterWestcoaster

FIGURED IT OUT!!!

So it seemed that on my MB Pro in the Mobile Me settings it kept the username and password that I had last entered. I went in and erased this and closed the preferences pane and it all worked again.

So not only do you have to log out but ensure that there is no username in the login box.

Come On Apple! Such A Minor Thing Affects Such An Important Thing! What Are They Thinking!!

Screen sharing stopped working this week

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.