Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Move clips from timeline to event sub folder?

Aloha,

Is there a way to move clips in the timeline that I have cleaned into a sub folder in an event library?

I come from a non FCP background and still trying to wrap my mind/workflow around the FCP formula. Generally I clean clips and drop "some" into a "to be used later" folder.

Example - While on location I might shoot some location shots while im waiting around. The locations shots will use in the last 3 mintues of a 25 minute finished project. When I get to post I edit and clean all clips in the order they are received. When I find the location clips I simply move them to a folder labled "to be used later". When I get to the section of the project/timeline were the clips are needed I drag them or the entire folder into the timeline.

I see how to make a folder inside an event but I am not able to drag a clips from the timeline to this created folder. I have tryied to hold down Shift, CMD, OPT, CTRL and have no sucess.

Thanks you for your time and help.

Frederick

Marbelle

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Aug 5, 2012 1:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 5, 2012 3:00 PM

For FCPX, if all you want to do is "clean" your clips (color correct, add effects, titles etc...) what you should do is right click on the imported event clips and Open in Timeline. This does NOT add them to any project storyline. This is a way to edit them directly in the Event Browser. When you finally want to add them to a storyline/project, they will already be pre-prepared for your work. [If you need to go back into them to make further changes after they've been added to a project - just right click on the clip in the storyline and Open in Timeline again to access your original edits.]

If you want to have a separate copy and placed in a subfolders in the Event Browser, you can select a range (or the whole clip) and command - D duplicate the clip and drop them into your folders. You can open your folder, Command - A select all and add them all at once (they'll be applied sequentially) to your storyline depending on how you have clips arranged (right click in the Event browser > current folder and from the popup select the sorting option you prefer, usually by Content Created ; Ascending would be the way you would generally apply the clips.)

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 5, 2012 3:00 PM in response to fred _ jennifer__

For FCPX, if all you want to do is "clean" your clips (color correct, add effects, titles etc...) what you should do is right click on the imported event clips and Open in Timeline. This does NOT add them to any project storyline. This is a way to edit them directly in the Event Browser. When you finally want to add them to a storyline/project, they will already be pre-prepared for your work. [If you need to go back into them to make further changes after they've been added to a project - just right click on the clip in the storyline and Open in Timeline again to access your original edits.]

If you want to have a separate copy and placed in a subfolders in the Event Browser, you can select a range (or the whole clip) and command - D duplicate the clip and drop them into your folders. You can open your folder, Command - A select all and add them all at once (they'll be applied sequentially) to your storyline depending on how you have clips arranged (right click in the Event browser > current folder and from the popup select the sorting option you prefer, usually by Content Created ; Ascending would be the way you would generally apply the clips.)

Aug 5, 2012 3:01 PM in response to fred _ jennifer__

First, you can't move clips from a project into an event. There is no relationship between the two except that clips in a project come from an event. Basically you cannot work the way you have been working.

Not sure what you mean by clean a clip. Find the location shots in the browser and keyword them. Drag them from the keyword collection to the timeline when you need them.

Aug 5, 2012 3:43 PM in response to fox_m

Aloha Fox,

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. I feel you really understood my concern and gave me some good viable options.

There is a lot for me to learn and unlearn. I have been editing for over 16 years and most of that time I was using Edius. This is big paradigm shift coming to the Mac and FCPX.

The idea for me is to edit the video and move the "to be used later clips" into a bin/folder instead of moving them to the location in the timeline were they will be used at that very moment. Its just a preference, I know plenty folks would just move the clip to the location. Edit software is just a tool I have to decide if FCPX is the right tool for me.

Thank you again Fox for your time and understanding of my question.

Be blessed,

Frederick

Marbelle

Feb 6, 2016 11:27 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

"you can't move clips from a project into an event. There is no relationship between the two except that clips in a project come from an event."

Thanks, Tom.

I won't try to do it anymore.

Feb 7, 2016 12:48 AM in response to fred _ jennifer__

fred + jennifer wrote:

The idea for me is to edit the video and move the "to be used later clips" into a bin/folder …

FCXP doesn't use 'drawers' to store (and hide) material. 😉

A forum can not replace a from-the-ground tutorial, but learn about Media Management in general, and keywords/tagging, collections and smartlists in detail.

For your task, generally spoken:

first of all: the blade is not for editing … … compounds are evil … the Project timeline is not for organizing your material!

browse through your clips in the Event (you're familiar with keyboard controls, J/K/L); set roughly in/outs (I, O), when a segment is marked, hit F(avorite) = for a very first 'cleaning' of all material, or create a list of keywords, apply by shortcuts. With 2x/4x ff speed, you can organize tons of material in minutes…

=> huge advantage compared to rigid bins&folders:

you can apply a keyword just to a part of a clip.

you can apply a keyword to several clips in one go.

you can apply several keywords to one segment.

you can apply 'overlapping' keywords.

finally, FCPX can automatically create smart-collections, you set-up a filter = selection criteria - done.

There is a lot for me to learn and unlearn. I have been editing for over 16 years and most of that time I was using Edius. This is big paradigm shift coming to the Mac and FCPX. …

total beginners learn FCPX indeed faster than experienced editors ... 😝

best of luck, try to learn from zero, get a book (Wolsky, Boykin...), buy a basics tutorial (rippletraining.com), have a look at Izzy or Larry Jordan, avoid any youtube 'tutorial' starting with "Whazzup, folks!" ....

Move clips from timeline to event sub folder?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.