Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't connect MacBook Pro to Clear 4G router

I have a mid 2010 MBP running 10.6.8 & recently purchased Clear 4G as my ISP. I bought the Express Hub which works great and connects with every device I have; PlayStation 3, iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, and both a Win7 & Linux netbooks. Only my MBP won't stay connected to the Clear router. Contacting their support simply blames the notebook, but they say a driver isn't necessary and they don't know of any issues with OS X and their service. Security on the router is set at WPA2 PSK with AES encryption. Never had an issue connecting to any access point before. Any thoughts?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Aug 5, 2012 2:41 PM

6 replies

Aug 5, 2012 4:06 PM in response to Shootist007

Absolutely, my MBP is up to date with drivers, software, etc. like I mentioned, I never had an issue connecting elsewhere either, and I travel with my MBP.

By default, the Clear router is WPA2 PSK with TKIP encryption, however I know AES is more secure, but neither get me connected. I even whitelisted my MBP MAC address in case of any IP issues, but still nothing. Seems WEP is the only (other than completely open) authentication it'll handshake with through this router. I know, it's something, but WEP is like an unlocked door to your home.

Aug 5, 2012 10:04 PM in response to NineToez

Seems I've found the issue. A simple switching the radio channel from 'auto' to a static number in the router's admin panel seems to have cured it. My router isn't near any other wireless devices or a microwave, but I do have 3 or 4 neighbors near by that might have caused interference between my MBP and the router. Been stable now for about an hour without the dreaded 'connection timeout' error nor a password prompt upon wake or boot. Hope this may help others with a similar issue.

Can't connect MacBook Pro to Clear 4G router

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.