Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Your security preferences allow installation of only apps from the Mac App Store and identified developers.

Any ideas?

24" IMAC, Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Aug 5, 2012 4:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 9, 2012 7:57 PM

1. Hold down "control" button

2. Click on the app that is triggering the message about the security preferences

3. Select "open" to override and install/open the application

This allows you to avoid changing the security setting to "anywhere."

19 replies

Aug 6, 2012 12:48 AM in response to ffalzett

Hello Guys,

I faced the same issue. Apple has now changed the default settings to only download application from Mac App Store and identified developers. you need to change the settings

Please follow the steps given below to resolve this issue -

System Preferences > Security & Privacy > General > Allow applications downloaded from > Anywhere

Hope this helps

Nov 11, 2017 7:32 AM in response to ffalzett

I faced this issue when installing a software that included another software inside, therefore i could not press control as the second software installer was opening automatically. The more painful issue is that from now on You cannot choose "anywhere" option under "security and privacy" pane - now there are only two options: "App store" and "App store and trusted developers". To override this issue, when the dialog box appears saying it is not a trusted developer, go to the settings -> security and privacy and you will see there is a message saying that an application wants to be installed, press open anyway and the installation will start up

Nov 23, 2017 9:13 AM in response to Z3r0C0o1

@ Z3r0C0o1 - Your suggestion seems to work fine, but only problem I encounter with this is that after the file opens with the application (such as outlook 2016). If I try to open another save file (.eml), I would have to do this for each of my saved email I on the machine. I think this needs to be address at apple level in their next update.

Aug 8, 2012 6:02 PM in response to Sahil Om Arora

I downloaded MPlayerX from the Mac AppStore but it still doesn't allow it to run. I have to change the settings to "Anywhere". This is annoying. After restarting my computer, it will revert to Quicktime as the default player even though I have set MPlayerX as the default prior to shutting down my computer. Before the upgrade to Mountain Lion, I had no such issue. This shows that Apple could not even trust the apps they approved in the Mac AppStore.

I hope Apple will fix this issue as it makes me nervous when the security setting is set to "Anywhere"

Your security preferences allow installation of only apps from the Mac App Store and identified developers.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.