Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Partially Move iTunes Library

Djhurlburt91

Re: partially move iTunes library?

Aug 4, 2012 2:46 PM (in response to Chris CA)

So, I've had my library sitting on my hard-drive and wanted to move it to a new external hard drive. So I went into Advanced and changed my library location to my external (it is external and shared from another computer) drive. Then went under "file" and "library" and "organize library" and then "consolidate".

It copied over all my music. But it did NOT copy over BOOKS or VIDEO or APPs. Any idea how I can have the whole kit-and-kabootle moved without confusing iTunes (which seems to be very easy to do).

turingtest2 London, UK

Aug 4, 2012 4:11 PM (in response to Djhurlburt91)

See Make a split library portable.

tt2

Level 1 (0 points)

Djhurlburt91

Aug 4, 2012 9:48 PM (in response to turingtest2)

I'm sorry...but this response does not seem immediately relevant to my situation. I do not want a split library - and I've noticed that manually moving files using Windows Explorer (i.e., outside of iTunes) confuses iTunes. It does not seem to know where things are nor how to reconstruct them without harm to synchronization to the iPad or iPod.

in fact, in reading it - I'd say the advice is incorrect in the use of "non-fatal manipulations" as most of them, at least on Windows, is fatal to iTunes library. Specifically, this one: "You can move the library files and the media together if the media folder is a direct subfolder of the library folder." This would force me to manually add every song within my 40,000 song library again.

turingtest2 London, UK

Aug 5, 2012 2:32 AM (in response to Djhurlburt91)

Perhaps if I called it "joining a split library" the intent would be clearer.

I thought this was a Mac forum. The techniques are mch the same but if we need to get specific it might be better to start your own thread in iTunes for Windows and invite me over there...

When you talk about changing the advanced preference for the media folder location and then consolidating, that leads to a split library. You are moving the media independently of the library files which stay put. If you have started this process but in fact want a portable library then the method I'm suggesting should be relevant.

Admittedly I didn't address the issue of why consolidate didn't copy over some of your content. iTunes can be notably silent when file operations fails so it could be a permissions problem. If you are running Windows then my scripts Unconsolidated and ConsolidateByMoving might be useful. The first can make a playlist of all unconsolidated files, the second can consolidate a selection of files by moving them instead of copying.

Regarding this point... "You can move the library files and the media together if the media folder is a direct subfolder of the library folder." the key factor is the relationship between the objects. When set out correctly you can move the entire iTunes folder as a unit and get iTunes to connect to the database at the new path. Although the absolute path to every file changes, the relative path from library file to media file is unchanged and iTunes effectively does a search and replace for old media path into new media path. I routinely run my iTunes library from E:\iTunes at home and switch to using a freshly updated clone of the same set of files at D:\iTunes when I'm at work. iTunes doesn't even blink at startup to check or correct anything, it just works.

tt2

iPod touch, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Aug 5, 2012 4:37 PM

6 replies

Aug 5, 2012 4:45 PM in response to Djhurlburt91

I'm struggling what you mean by, "Admittedly I didn't address the issue of why consolidate didn't copy over some of your content. iTunes can be notably silent when file operations fails so it could be a permissions problem. "

I am running everything as admin, so I'm not sure about a permission issue. And if that were the case, I would think when I "consolidate", that it might hiccup on the music, too. It moved all of that, but did not touch Apps, Books, nor movies.

I'm also curious about what you mean by, "the key factor is the relationship between the objects. When set out correctly you can move the entire iTunes folder as a unit and get iTunes to connect to the database at the new path. Although the absolute path to every file changes, the relative path from library file to media file is unchanged and iTunes effectively does a search and replace for old media path into new media path. I routinely run my iTunes library from E:\iTunes at home and switch to using a freshly updated clone of the same set of files at D:\iTunes when I'm at work. iTunes doesn't even blink at startup to check or correct anything, it just works."

I tried moving the iTunes directory originally...and that included the library itself. Everything under C:\Users\admin\Music\iTunes\... And then I launched iTunes in the look mode, told it to open the library file sitting on the external drive, and it was totally confused. it couldn't see any music or movies or anything. And that subsequently screwed up my iPad and iPod syncs.

And I have yet to see iTunes "search". I always have to add to. Which meant dragging all 20,000 files individually back into iTunes.

Aug 6, 2012 1:04 AM in response to Djhurlburt91

Where specifically is your active iTunes library file? To be certain use the script iTunesXMLPath.

Where is your media folder as given by Edit > Preferences >Advanced?

On the same page which of Keep... & Copy... do you have selected?

If you look inside your media folder do you lots of individual artist folders or are these tucked away inside a Music subfolder?

The iTunes consolidate function can either be triggered on the whole library with File > Library > Organize Library > Consolidate Files or on a set of selected media files with a right-click context menu Consolidate Files...

For files that are outside the currently designated media folder consolidate copies the files into the media folder and changes iTunes internal record to point to the new file. The original is left in place, so you have to tidy up by hand.

What happens if you select a few of the books that you say won't consolidate and use right-click > Consolidate Files? Assuming that works select all the books and repeat. You can do the same with video files.

iTunes doesn't give you a way to consolidate individual apps but they should get copied when using the File > LIbrary > Organize Files > Consolidate Files route. Alternatively my script ConsolidateByMoving can consolidate selected apps, or indeed other media files. As implied, the script moves files rather than copying them so there is no housekeeping to do afterwards.

tt2

Aug 6, 2012 6:31 PM in response to turingtest2

turingtest2 wrote:

Where specifically is your active iTunes library file? To be certain use the script iTunesXMLPath.

It is now located here:

\\server\F\iTunes

Where is your media folder as given by Edit > Preferences >Advanced?

User uploaded file

On the same page which of Keep... & Copy... do you have selected?

If you look inside your media folder do you lots of individual artist folders or are these tucked away inside a Music subfolder?

Music is organized under Music directory, into subfolders ARTIST->ALBUM->*music.mp3

The iTunes consolidate function can either be triggered on the whole library with File > Library > Organize Library > Consolidate Files or on a set of selected media files with a right-click context menu Consolidate Files...

So, not sure what this mean...what am I right-clicking on?

For files that are outside the currently designated media folder consolidate copies the files into the media folder and changes iTunes internal record to point to the new file. The original is left in place, so you have to tidy up by hand.

What happens if you select a few of the books that you say won't consolidate and use right-click > Consolidate Files? Assuming that works select all the books and repeat. You can do the same with video files.

iTunes doesn't give you a way to consolidate individual apps but they should get copied when using the File > LIbrary > Organize Files > Consolidate Files route. Alternatively my script ConsolidateByMoving can consolidate selected apps, or indeed other media files. As implied, the script moves files rather than copying them so there is no housekeeping to do afterwards.

So the net-net is I've had to restart from scratch (yet again). I have restored a back up and will once again try to move things. iTunes is not an easy application.

tt2

Aug 7, 2012 2:44 AM in response to Djhurlburt91

So the net-net is I've had to restart from scratch (yet again). I have restored a back up and will once again try to move things.

Why have you restored over what presumably was a working library? It seems you have jumped the gun before we've understood what is happening.

If the library file iTunes Library.itl is stored at \\server\F\iTunes then for your library to be "portable" the media folder should be at \\server\F\iTunes\iTunes Media. We can't just move things randomly however.

Assuming your library is still as described above the following steps would put this library into a portable state...

1. With iTunes closed move the files iTunes Library.itl, iTunes Library Extras.itdb, iTunes Library Genius.itdb, iTunes Library.xml, sentinel (hidden) and the folder Album Artwork from \\server\F\iTunes into \\server\F.
  2. Hold down shift as you launch iTunes, click choose and open the library file \\server\F\iTunes Library.itl. Test that media plays properly. Check that the media folder under Edit > Preferences > Advanced still reads as \\server\F\iTunes, edit if necessary.
  3. Close iTunes, rename the folder \\server\F\iTunes as \\server\F\iTunes Media, then start iTunes again. Check that the media folder under Edit > Preferences > Advanced now reads as \\server\F\iTunes Media, edit if necessary.

4. Close iTunes. Create a folder called \\server\F\iTunes and move the files iTunes Library.itl, iTunes Library Extras.itdb, iTunes Library Genius.itdb, iTunes Library.xml, sentinel (hidden) and the folders Album Artwork and iTunes Media from \\server\F into \\server\F\iTunes.
  5. Hold down shift as you launch iTunes, click choose and open the library file \\server\F\iTunes\iTunes Library.itl. Test that media plays properly. Check that the media folder under Edit > Preferences > Advanced now reads as \\server\F\iTunes\iTunes Media, edit if necessary.

The iTunes folder is now a portable library. You could, for example, now move it from \\server\F\iTunes to \\server\iTunes, open it with the shift-start-iTunes method and it would all work. Or you could clone it to a different network path and that clone would be a fully working library, independent of any of the source files.

tt2

Aug 8, 2012 9:39 AM in response to turingtest2

I very much appreciate all the work you've put in. The state that I was in was such that I had a partial library located in \\server\F\iTunes and some remaining items resident at C:\user\admin\Music\iTunes\...

In the latter (laptop) were the iTunes Library.itl file and associated .xml, Genius, and Extra files, the Album Artwork, Books, Movies, TV Shows and Apps directories that were OUTSIDE of the iTunes Media directory. (I would have thought these directories should have been under the iTunes Media directory.)

Accidently (in trying to clean stuff up) I guess I deleted my directory on C:\user\admin\Music\iTunes and they were NOT in my recycle bin, so ... I was a bit out of luck.

Fortunately, I had recently done a back up of my laptop, so ... I could restore my data located at C:\user\admin\Music\iTunes but ... the back .itl file did NOT know about \\server\F\iTunes.

Once restoring these files...I found that if I added files from the directories outside of iTunes Media (e.g., not below iTunes Media - such as the Album Artwork,Books, Movies, TV Shows and Apps directories) that iTunes would create new directories below iTunes Media (i.e., duplicating)

I then renamed the directories that were "at the same directory level as iTunes Media and closed iTunes. I opened it back up and iTunes still had knowledge of these directories (assume it was congnizant of the files it created in the iTunes Media folder.

Net-Net: I now have the system as I want it, except that it is on my laptop as opposed to my External drive. Now it is time to do the move.

What I am intending to do is to go into Advanced and change the media location to \\server\F\iTunes\iTunes Media and then go under file->Library->Organize Library and chose "Consolidate files". I am hoping this will have iTunes move the whole kit-and-kabootle. (I plan to delete what is already on \\server\f\iTunes before executing this, just to have a clean slate)

My guess is, based on our dialog, is that the .itl, .xml, Extra and Genius files will still be resident on C:\user\admin\Music\iTunes, yes? Where do you recommend I have the .itl, .xml, Extra and Genius files? on \\server\f\iTunes? If so, by moving them there via the OS, will I destroy any relative reference information and confuse iTunes?

Aug 8, 2012 10:35 AM in response to Djhurlburt91

What I am intending to do is to go into Advanced and change the media location to\\server\F\iTunes\iTunes Media and then go under file->Library->Organize Library and chose "Consolidate files". I am hoping this will have iTunes move the whole kit-and-kabootle. (I plan to delete what is already on \\server\f\iTunes before executing this, just to have a clean slate)

STOP...

Changing the location of the media folder and then consolidating is not the way to move an iTunes library from one place to another. All the relevant information was in my earlier post but the upshot is if you have a consolidated library where the library files are in a folder called iTunes and all the media is in a subfolder of that called iTunes Media (which is the media folder designated in preferences) then you can copy the entire iTunes folder to a new path, drive, network share, computer etc. and use the shift-start-iTunes method to open the library from its new location.

Although you could consolidate to the new folder and then copy across the library files you're making the job more compilated than it should be and cutting off your route for retreat. If your library is working on your C: drive now, with the active library at C:\Users\<User>\Music\iTunes and the media in the desiginated media folder of C:\Users\<User>\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media then just copy the entire iTunes folder from C: to the network location that you want, e.g. \\server\F\iTunes (why not just \\server\iTunes?) then use the shift-start iTunes method to access it.

You might also find my comments in this thread useful. Having just told you how to make sure your library is all joined up and portable it is worth noting you may get a performace hit. That post suggests a method for getting increased performance while being aware of what you'll need to do in advance if you want to move the library in future.

tt2

Partially Move iTunes Library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.