Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes library consolidation error: "Copying files failed. An unknown error occurred (-50)."

User uploaded fileMy iTunes library has outgrown the HDD on my iMac, so I've started to migrate it over to a Synology NAS. The iTunes Media folder is set to the NAS, but when I attempt to consolidate the library the operation fails each time with the error: "Copying files failed. An unknown error occurred (-50).

I have found this references to this error in the communities from Windows users, but I only use Macs.

iTunes-OTHER, OS X Mountain Lion, iTunes 10.6.3 (25)

Posted on Aug 5, 2012 6:05 PM

2 replies

Nov 4, 2013 10:27 AM in response to jchambers-shanghai

Just trying to give this topic a poke as I am having a similar issue.

I am rebuilding my library that was on an external drive. I had a backup of much of the files, but not a direct backup of the iTunes media folder, as well I am now moving it to a new iTunes Media directory on a Synology 1813+ NAS running DSM 4.3 vs. a USB attached drive.

I have followed all of the correct procedures to move the media directory by using the tools within iTunes, and that all worked perfectly.

So far iTunes has been able to locate most of the music files through its own processes. Once it completed that process I then initiated "Consolidate files" to move the found files to the new iTunes Media directory on the new NAS.

I am led to believe that the issue is with a specific file that causes the copy process to stop, but I don't know how to capture what file it might be.

I am not seeing anything relevent in the console log.

Hoping someone can throw me some ideas...

iTunes 11.1.2 (32) - iMac 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM - OS X 10.8.5

iTunes library consolidation error: "Copying files failed. An unknown error occurred (-50)."

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.