Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple iPhone 4s-What does "lock sounds" mean

Does "lock Sounds" have to be "on" or "off" and what does it do?

iPhone 4

Posted on Aug 5, 2012 6:13 PM

25 replies

Apr 11, 2017 7:52 PM in response to strfhills

I have this same question (I have a 6) what does lock sound do and should it be on or off.? Much of the respondents did not provide a clear answer. This setting in "on" (as far as I know, always has been. I am not getting a ding with text messages lately, and trying to figure out why. Pardon my ignorance, I'm not tech savvy. Siri brought me here. Kind regards

Oct 31, 2013 10:18 AM in response to modular747

Sorry modular747, I'm sure you were simply trying to be helpful (and I am sure you would never try to purposely sound condescending since that would defeat the purpose of being "helpful" in the first place) but when you say "The purpose of the lock sound setting is self evident" it comes across rather curt, not to mention it's not really true. Something that is self evident by definition is "clearly true and requires no proof or explanation". The fact that strfhills asked the question in the first place (not to mention the many others who can be found in the "MORE LIKE THIS" box above) clearly shows the purpose of the lock sound setting is not self evident.

To be honest, I didn't comprehend your explanation and had to go to some of the MORE LIKE THIS links to finally get it. I would be happy to admit that I was simply not a technical person (or stupid for that matter) but that just isn't the case. I have been in the high tech industry for over 30 years, have a degree in computer science, I spent part of my career writing software, I've even written technical manuals, but I am sorry - I didn't get this feature at all. I think the problem stems from the fact that it is on the "Sounds" menu, where we can make a lot of adjustments to a lot of various sound patterns. One might assume that at the bottom of this screen, the "Lock Sounds" toggle allows you to somehow Lock all of the changes you just make on this screen. It just isn't self evident.

It this seems like overkill for what I simply felt was a curt reply - I do appologize. It probably has a lot to do with the fact that the reason I am searching this site is because the sound on my 4s is screwed up. I've gone through all the recommended fixes for the issue - which has taken more time than I wanted - and still doesn't work. The sounds all work with the headphones plugged in, but when the headphones are removed the sounds for messages, alerts, even sound for iTunes, or any other sounds from apps don't work. Only the ringtones and alarms work fine. It is fairly clear to me that something has happened with one of the recent iSO updates - I suspect iOS 7.0.3.

I've noticed several others are having the exact same issue - and yet the general reply - especially from "level 6" community members implies that it must be a user error - and we just need to follow the steps - such as turn the phone off and on, or make sure something isn't jammed in the headphone socket, or to simply reload a recent backup.

Since no of that worked, I started going through all the various features, toggles, etc on my phone to see if I had possible overlooked something. I came to the Lock Sounds toggle and because I have never really understood that toggle (and to be honest never really cared until now) I tried to search this site and discovered your comment that it's purpose is self evident. Hopefully you can empathize with my frustration.

Here is the deal. I'm a Level 0 on this site, so I do not have a clue how to go about letting Apple know that they have an issue (because my 30 plus years of technology experience tells me at this point that this is a software problem - not a user problem) but I would really appreciate it if someone could pass that message along so Apple can begin to work on the fix.

Thanks for your help, and again I am very sorry for being a jerk, let's just say it has been one of those days...

Oct 31, 2013 11:36 AM in response to BronP

Perhaps you don't realize it but you're responding to a post that's more than a year old. It's considered rather bad form to resurrect a dormant thread, especially if your problem is not the same as the original post. You're more likely to get help if you start your own thread. Sticking to technical support questions also increases the chances that you'll get the help you need. Use a properly descriptive subject line, explain what you're trying to do, what happens when you try and what trouble shooting steps you've already taken.

And, if you have to apologize at the end of a post for being a jerk, perhaps the post shouldn't have been made.

Best of luck.

Oct 31, 2013 12:37 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

Ms. St.Clair, (and I say that out of respect, not sarcasm)

You are correct that I didn't realize it would be in bad form - although in situations where form becomes more important than the function itself I have no trouble ignoring it - I don't believe that is the case here so I do apologize.

Thank you for you instruction on how to make the most of this community - I will definately use that approach from now on.

Also I couldn't agree more that the posts made in haste and frustration probably shouldn't be made, and this instance simply serves to support that belief.

Thank you and hopefully I will get to use your knowledge and skills for a more worthwhile issue in the future.

Respectfully yours

Oct 31, 2013 12:58 PM in response to BronP

As the only point of your diatribe post was to attack me personally (transparently cached in sarcastically "respectful" comments), in a 14 month dead thread in which you did not previously participate, and your current problem is unequivocally unrelated, it's clear that your "bad form" was intentional and your "apology" is hollow.

I suggest re-reading "self evident" statement in the context of the preceding sentence, not that it has any relevance whatsoever to your actual problem.

Oct 31, 2013 2:00 PM in response to modular747

modular747,

Again I apologize for the post - but I can appreciate and respect your belief that it was in bad form and intentional. Because I believe we cannot talk our way out of something we acted our way into - and because I am new to this community there is no way for me to show a history of good form as proof that this was very uncharacteristic of me - I feel I will be best served leaving it at that.

Since I am a big fan of the iPhone and rarely experience any trouble you shouldn't have to deal with me again.

Oct 31, 2013 2:20 PM in response to modular747

Actually I purposely added the explanatory note in an effort to stress to her that I appreciated the respectful and professional manner in which she chose to correct my approach and bad form (whether I deserved it or not), as well as taking the time to provide helpful instruction on how to properly go about gaining an answer to my problem.

And as I would have guessed she received it in the manner it was offered.

Oct 31, 2013 2:55 PM in response to BronP

The fact that you felt the need to clarify a polite, standard English salutation as not being sarcastic (when it normally would be considered "self evidently" respectful) speaks to the tone that you intentionally created with your first rant.

Good luck with finding a solution to your iPhone problem, whatever that problem actually is.

Nov 13, 2013 8:39 AM in response to modular747

Old thread or not, I'm glad BronP called you out for being condescending. Your "self-evident" comment was rude even though your explanation was helpful. I was searching for what "lock sounds" meant too. It might have been more self-evident if the grammar was correct. There's only one lock sound...so the option should be singular in the Sounds menu and not plural. Plural gives the impression that it has something to do with many sounds, and therefor it's natural to assume it has to do with all of the sounds listed above in the menu.

Jul 24, 2014 2:12 PM in response to modular747

I just got my first iPhone and I was having trouble because I misunderstood something. I was trying to get a special ring-tone to ring, and suddenly the phone would only produce the default ring. Anyway, I stumbled on the Lock Sound button and thought maybe that button LOCKED ALL THE SOUNDS. So, I searched Google for an answer and found this snarky "self-evident" comment. Well, now I know the Lock Sound button makes the phone produce a Lock Sound, and doesn't lock any sounds. But then again maybe I'm just dumb.

Apple iPhone 4s-What does "lock sounds" mean

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.