Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to create a new bookmark folder on the fly

Hello,

I was wondering if it is possible to do this in Safari please:

Find a site you like and press 'command D' to start a new bookmark. Then when you get the folder list and you find that the bookmark you want to create doesn't belong in any folder you currently have you can then 'DO SOMETHING' that creates a new folder for you to put the new bookmark into.

Currently I press 'command D' and then look at my folders and think "hmmmm.. this bookmark doesn't belong in any of these folders. I'll create a new one....ohh...I can't. ok..." so then I press 'cancel' to get out of the new bookmark dialog box, go to manage bookmarks, clickthe + sign to create a new folder, press the back button to go back to the page I want to bookmark and then start the process all over again.

It'd be cool to have a + sign on the bookmark this page dialog to start with like you can in Firefox.

Apple are smart kids, so I expect they have thought of this and then decided not to use this feature.

I am wondering if there is a shortcut that is another secret that you need to ask around to know about or if I am missing something obvious. I know that I could save a few steps by opening a new window to get to bookmark manager, but an easier way is to add a + sign when I go to bookmark the page.

Thank you

James

Safari-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Aug 5, 2012 6:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2017 7:37 AM

This isn't related to the question at all....

everyone knows how to create a Bookmark Folder normally, the question was specifically about creating a folder WHILE already saving a bookmark, which is just another feature Apple has been asked for for ages, but keeps ignoring customer requests, just the same way as with the disappearance of star rating from iTunes....

17 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 9, 2017 7:37 AM in response to mick.j.f

This isn't related to the question at all....

everyone knows how to create a Bookmark Folder normally, the question was specifically about creating a folder WHILE already saving a bookmark, which is just another feature Apple has been asked for for ages, but keeps ignoring customer requests, just the same way as with the disappearance of star rating from iTunes....

Nov 5, 2017 6:55 AM in response to pawargb

Seems like you still don't understand the question...

Creating a folder ON THE GO not "before saving a bookmark"!

Let me give you the example:

You hit CMD+D to save the bookmark, little window pops up for you to name your location and choose destination folder. There and then we want to create a folder, like in any normal web browser you can, apart from Safari. It's not satisfactory to first having to go to sidebar, create a folder and only then be able to save the bookmark into that folder...

It's like not being able to create a folder to save the file in Finder when downloading something which is obvious how ridiculous it sounds!

Mar 8, 2017 11:24 AM in response to Antistandard

I had exactly the same issue. Try this: whilst on your web page, select Show Sidebar from the top left of screen. scroll down to the blank space at the bottom of your existing bookmark folders, right click (double finger press on the pad)and the option to create and name a new folder appears without you having to leave the page. You can then save to this new folder in the normal way. It shouldn't be so hard to figure that out but it took me a while. Hope that helps.

Sep 6, 2017 5:31 AM in response to Antistandard

In Safari 10.1.2 (Mac OS x) it is possible to do this in a sort of reverse order. If you do not have a folder that is correct to create a new one:

1) Open the bookmarks sidebar.

2) Right-click any bookmark and select "New Folder" (don't select the bookmark or the page will load that url).

3) Name the folder.

4) Create a new bookmark from the Bookmarks menu and select the new folder from 3) to save it in.

5) Drag the new folder where you want it.

shift+ctrl+n in this safari version creates a private browsing window.

Oct 26, 2012 8:16 AM in response to disguise

Yes I will confirm that for me even with the dropdown sheet to create a new bookmark open, shift-command-n will create a bookmark folder, open a new bookmark management window with the new bookmark in the left pane for you to place somewhere in your hierarchy, and once there and the bookmark management window closed, the folder is immediately available in the target folder dropdown.

I agree, I would prefer how Firefox does it, or at least that the new bookmark is created by default in the folder that is currently selected in the dropdown sheet.

Mar 25, 2014 10:32 PM in response to Daveink

Thank you thank you. Daveink. I finally found the answer to my question in your reply dated Nov 12, 2013 4:45 AM (in response to Antistandard)

How to create a bookmark folder on an iPad-

On iPad, in Safari, click open book at top right next to cloud, choose open book again, edit, new folder, location, type, done.

How to create a new bookmark folder on the fly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.