Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Notification Center Frozen Completely

Notification center froze and while I'm working, I cannot reboot, time sensitive material being working on at the moment. Why does this happen ? How can I prevent this from happening in the future ? Why does the notification center not listen when I click on the check-box to state I've completed the task ?

Thanks for your help, in advance.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion, 2012

Posted on Aug 5, 2012 6:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 13, 2012 1:51 PM

The same thing JUST happened to me. I clicked to dismiss a calendar notification and the next thing I knew it, it was frozen there and I couldn't open the notification center to tweet or anything.

What I did to reset it is go to Applications > Utilities > Activity Monitor (either through the Finder or Launchpad, your choice) and type in "Notification Center" in the search box. Click on the one search result that comes up and hit the "Quit Process" button in the top left hand corner. It'll bring up a window that asks you if you're sure you want to quit the process. Click "Force Quit".

After a few seconds Notification Center will quit and relaunch without having to restart your computer. All other apps (including the finder) are untouched.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 13, 2012 1:51 PM in response to VoilaMagic

The same thing JUST happened to me. I clicked to dismiss a calendar notification and the next thing I knew it, it was frozen there and I couldn't open the notification center to tweet or anything.

What I did to reset it is go to Applications > Utilities > Activity Monitor (either through the Finder or Launchpad, your choice) and type in "Notification Center" in the search box. Click on the one search result that comes up and hit the "Quit Process" button in the top left hand corner. It'll bring up a window that asks you if you're sure you want to quit the process. Click "Force Quit".

After a few seconds Notification Center will quit and relaunch without having to restart your computer. All other apps (including the finder) are untouched.

Mar 14, 2013 1:53 PM in response to Macathon1996

You might try changing the drop down menu at the top right of the Activity Monitor to "All Processes" and then the Notification Center should show up in the seach. That's what I did and then followed the instructions and it worked for me just now using a 2012 Macbook Pro Retina 15". I also have had this problem regularly with the new 21 iMac; one with a Fusion Drive and the other without. This Notification Center freeze problem happens with all of the Macs I use,

May 25, 2013 12:52 PM in response to kf4wvk

If you get tired of going through the Activity Monitor process... I made an app that resets it in the background when you click it. Just stick it in your dock and click it every time the glitch happens.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/6uan2gne8u27xxl/Reset+Notification+Center.app. zip

Note: This might also help people who are having problems finding it in their Activity Monitor.

Notification Center Frozen Completely

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.