Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

DeDup merged Libraries

I'm looking for workflow advice or tips to use iPhoto as the application of choice to manage my photos (20,000+ counting duplicates). I've read though or listened to tutorials on iPhoto and have a fair working knowledge of computers and shared applications.

I switched over to apple a couple of years ago. This switch left windows folders of photos on my work computers, home computers, laptops and phones. There are more than one because as our kids grew up and left home they left many photos on our file servers scattered all over. At work and home, many times our kids would just hand me a thumb drive/cd with photos which I promptly dumped into a folder and imported into iPhoto later on the nearest computer.

Now, I'd like to reclaim wasted space by deleting these scattered folders once I know they have been imported to iPhoto.

I'm using Drop Box as the place for the "default merged library" so I can access the same library or libraries from multiple locations. I will be the only person to use the Drop Box so I'm not concerned about multiple users of the same database.

I've used "Library Manager" to merge libraries from different computers and preserve the meta data, tags, edited versions, etc.

One main issue, is the vast number of duplicates I'm discovering and how to trim these from the main library. I have started using additional libraries to help break apart the huge single mass into smaller more manageable bites but this just helped uncover more duplicates.

Are there any shortcuts to help discover and remove duplicates? Automated tools or scripts? Can I safely remove all the old folders once I see the photo in iPhoto? If I import the same folder twice from two different computers it does not always obey the "do not import duplicates" check box as the clocks may not have been the same when the photos were loaded on the computer originally. Any ideas about how to compensate for these duplicates and save time is appreciated. Recommendations about sensible ways to use multiple libraries would help too.

End goal is to have a single set of iPhoto libraries, without duplicates, stored on Drop Box from which I can export albums/events to family and friends via a web link. I would only like the photo image stored and taking up space without the worry about files, file folders and sub structures.

Thanks,

pblpup

iPhoto '11, Mac OS X (10.7.4), iMac, mac book pro, iPad and Iphone

Posted on Aug 5, 2012 9:16 PM

3 replies

Aug 5, 2012 11:59 PM in response to pblpup

Couple of comments:

I'm using Drop Box as the place for the "default merged library" so I can access the same library or libraries from multiple locations. I will be the only person to use the Drop Box so I'm not concerned about multiple users of the same database.

We ran some experiments here a while back to see if we could sync Libraries back and forth with Drop Box and they were corrupted in the process.

iPhoto needs to have the Library sitting on disk formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled). While the DropBox folder on your machine is on a Disk with the correct format, the one on the DropBox server isn't. And to get to the other machine the Library spends time there.

Are you running a Managed or a Referenced Library?

A Managed Library, is the default setting, and iPhoto copies files into the iPhoto Library when Importing. The files are then stored in the Library package

A Referenced Library is when iPhoto is NOT copying the files into the iPhoto Library when importing because you made a change at iPhoto -> Preferences -> Advanced. (You unchecked the option to copy files into the Library on import) The files are then stored where ever you put them and not in the Library package. In this scenario you are responsible for the File Management.

If you're running a Managed Library then yes, you can delete the files from the Finder after importing.

For dealing with duplicates in iPhoto check out Duplicate Annihilator

Regards

TD

Aug 7, 2012 9:20 PM in response to Yer_Man

I'm using the managed version. Thanks for explaining the difference.

Is there a OSX formatted server like dropbox to provide the online shared/sync'd usage without corruption? I haven't noticed any issues yet, but then the library is so large I may not notice for some time. How did your corruption show itself?

I was just getting ready to merge a local library with one stored on dropbox. I think I'll move the one from dropbox to my desktop first.

Once I finish the merging I will try Duplicate Annihilator

Thanks

DeDup merged Libraries

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.