Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac g3 lightning not starting up

Our house recently got struck by lightning a few nights ago and tripped the house fuse but it also got to the ariel and the phone wire blowing our router, our phone and my iMac G3 which was connected to the Ethernet, it starts up to the hard disk check and completes it but gets stuck on the icons being displayed on the bottom of the screen whilst starting up, and does not freeze but does not advance any further and was wondering if it would be a simple swapping a hard drive or a complete new computer and which bits are mostly likely to be fried if I decide to sell it for parts. thanks in advance, Callum

iMac, Mac OS 9.2.x, G3

Posted on Aug 6, 2012 4:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 1:54 PM

Right, update sort of, I changed the HDD for the one I got with the iMac, (the one that was in it was a 10gb from a PowerMac G4, that also had electrical probs - see my other questions) It now boots to the password screen (why I switched HDD) but only in safemode? Refuses to get past the "Starting up", will re-installing an OS9.2 - 10.3 help?

I really don't know what has happened, but all I know is that for a 14 year old Mac, that has been struck by lightening, I'm lucky to a have a computer doing this, letalone my eyebrows 🙂

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 27, 2012 1:54 PM in response to Callum1500

Right, update sort of, I changed the HDD for the one I got with the iMac, (the one that was in it was a 10gb from a PowerMac G4, that also had electrical probs - see my other questions) It now boots to the password screen (why I switched HDD) but only in safemode? Refuses to get past the "Starting up", will re-installing an OS9.2 - 10.3 help?

I really don't know what has happened, but all I know is that for a 14 year old Mac, that has been struck by lightening, I'm lucky to a have a computer doing this, letalone my eyebrows 🙂

Nov 27, 2012 8:12 PM in response to Callum1500

It's been quite some time since I workedon a G3 iMac, but here are a couple of suggestions. Check the Master/Slave settings for HD and CD-drive. If I recall correctly, the hard drive from the G4 (which was in the iMac when the lightning struck had a different setting than the hard drive that was originally in the iMac, and now back in the iMac). If I recall correctly, I once took a HD out of an iMac DV, and put it into a fruity iMac, and I had to change the pin settings for that drive to work in the older version iMac. Perhaps you changed the settings when you put the G4's HD in the G3 iMac, and now you need to change the settings back when you returned the original drive.

Next suggestion:

Did you try to boot the iMac from its original install disk, or from the OS 10.3 disk you originally updated it from?

If it boots from the CD, maybe the old HD you put in is also bad.

Here are some excerpts from the Service Source iMac G3 Tray Loading Manual:

Many system problems can be resolved by resetting the Cuda chip (see the Symptom/Cure tables for examples). Press the Cuda reset button on the logic board to reset the Cuda chip. (The Cuda reset button is located on the back edge of the logic board between the modem port and the processor module.)

Resetting the Logic Board

Resetting the logic board can resolve many system problems (see the Symptom/Cure tables for examples). Whenever you have a unit that fails to power up, you should follow this procedure before replacing any modules.

1. Unplug the computer.

2. Disconnect the cable that runs from the power supply to the power filter board on the bottom side of the logic board/mass storage chassis.

3. Press the Power On button on the front of the unit.

4. Remove the logic board/mass storage chassis from the unit.

5. Remove the battery from the logic board.

6. Wait at least 10 minutes before replacing the battery.

7. Make sure the battery is installed in the correct +/- direction.

8. Reassemble the computer and test the unit.

Note: This procedure resets the computer’s PRAM. Be sure to check the computer’s time/date and other system parameter settings afterwards.

Power-On Self Test

There is a power-on self test that resides in the ROM of the iMac. This test automatically runs whenever the iMac is powered on after being fully shut down (the power-on self test does not run if the machine is only restarted).

If a problem is detected during the test, you will not hear a normal startup chime. Instead, the system will beep as explained below. Refer to “Error Beeps” later in this chapter for instructions on how to troubleshoot and repair an iMac that sounds error beeps at startup time.

Following is a definition of what the error beeps at startup time signify.

• 1 Beep: No RAM is installed or detected.

• 2 Beeps: EDO memory is installed. (The iMac ships with SDRAM SO-DIMMs and does not accept EDO memory).

• 3 Beeps: No RAM banks passed memory testing.

• 4 or 5 Beeps: Bad checksum for the remainder of the boot ROM. The ROM (which is located on the processor module) is bad.

System Hangs/Freezes During Boot

1) Boot with Extensions off by holding down the Shift key during startup. (See TIL article #14343 for more information on possible Extension conflicts.) Does the system startup successfully with Extensions off?

Yes: Begin adding back the system Extensions one at a time and starting up the system after each addition. If the system freezes again, you know that the last Extension you added is causing the problem.

No: Go to the next step.

2) Boot from the system CD that came with the unit. Does the system startup successfully? Yes: Reinstall system software. (You must use the system software CD that came with the unit to get the correct version of Mac OS .) If the problem persists, go to the next step. No: Reseat the SDRAM. If the problem persists, replace the SDRAM (one DIMM at a time) with known- good SO-DIMMs.

3) Bad USB device. Turn off the computer and disconnect all USB devices. Next, power on the system using the power button on the front of the unit, and begin adding back the USB device one at time, beginning with the keyboard and then the mouse, and so on. If the system hangs only after you reconnect a particular USB device, replace that USB device.

4) The hard drive or its software drivers are most likely the problem. Can you see the hard drive using Drive Setup?

Yes: Use Drive Setup 1.5.1 to reinstall the software drivers for the hard drive. If the problem persists, use Drive Setup 1.5.1 to reinitialize the hard drive (See TIL article #22206 for Drive Setup information.)

±Warning: You will lose all data on the hard drive when you reinitialize it. Backup the data first if possible.

No: Go to next step.

5) If you don’t see the hard drive using Drive Setup:

- Check all cable connections to and from the hard drive. - Replace the hard drive/CD data cable. - Replace the hard drive. - Replace the hard drive power cable

6) Disconnect all external devices (USB and Ethernet). Then begin reconnecting these devices one at a time (beginning with the keyboard and then the mouse) and start up the computer after each device is connected to see if one of the external devices is causing the problem. If the problem occurs after you connect a particular external device, replace the device in question.

Good luck.

Nov 27, 2012 11:29 PM in response to Rambling Joe

Hi, thanks for your reply.

I have never changed the HDD settings on either hdd and they both have booted in the iMac previously. So i naturally assumed it would make no difference, however I will check this, but I am curious as to how lightening would change it? (not saying your wrong, just curious)

I do not currently have any OS disks of any sort, I am hoping to borrow some today, and I just wanted to know if they would be useful.

I will try reseting the PRAM and the CUDA, later on, I assume there will be the extensions list will be in the manual, from the apple website?

The power on test, is confusing me, I had noticed that sometimes there was no startup tone, and yet there was no beep, does this mean anything?

Thanks again and in advance for your help.

Nov 28, 2012 9:38 AM in response to Callum1500

Right, I cannot get any OS discs untill at least monday, if at all, as a teacher at school uses macs and I asked him if I can borrow one.

The PRAM and CUDA resets unfortunatley did nothing, however I noticed when I boot normally the screen automatically resizes. No idea why. I should be able to get the password gone by the weekend (it was 2nd hand from a freind at my Dad's work, came with a password and not all of it is remembered).

It looks to me like the extensions are the problem but I am not sure, as there is no problem with extension off.

Thanks Again, Callum.

iMac g3 lightning not starting up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.