5 Replies Latest reply: Aug 6, 2012 7:01 AM by steve359
Matthew Carter3 Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

I'm suddenly having big problems with internet access: my connection keeps dropping, especially when other laptops, iPads and so on in the house try to access the interent at the same time. It's restored when I reboot my iMac, but lasts at best for an hour beofre dropping again. I guess there are potentially many reasons but I'm wondering whether it's time to upgrade my ancient Belkin router, which I've been using for about five years.

If so, does anyone have any recommendations? I live in the UK and have a Talk Talk broadband account (which can't be changed for anothr 12 months or so).  Advice gratefully received, thanks.

Matthew

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.4)
  • Barry Hemphill Level 8 Level 8 (36,970 points)

Hello:

I don't live in the UK (no surprise to you ). 

Have you considered an Airport Express?  If your broadband has a modem (it must have....) that would connect to the Airport device via Ethernet.  Then all of your devices could connect wirelessly to the Internet.  If you needed additional functionality, the Airport Extreme has that.

In my own case, I have a dumb modem that connects me to my DSL line and then it is connected to my Airport Express.

Just a thought...

Barry

• Matthew Carter3 Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

Hi Barry

Sorry, I should have been more precise. My Belkin box is modem/router and I do have an Apple Airport Wi Fi network in the house with one Extreme and three Express boxes. It's the modem/router that's playing up. I think!

Matthew

• Barry Hemphill Level 8 Level 8 (36,970 points)

It's the modem/router that's playing up. I think!

Very possibly, and I do not know of a way to test the router/modem.  If you replace it, can you get a modem without the router function from your ISP?  That should be cheaper.

Barry

• Matthew Carter3 Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

Thanks Barry, good advice.

• steve359 Level 6 Level 6 (12,280 points)

My phone compny says that to get their faster internet service (as oposed to the service that does work but it not the fastest) I need their new "super duper greatest new powerful" router/modem that CAN handle the data speeds.

I assume that if they tried to pump those new speeds through my old modem, it would choke eventully and die until reset.