Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ML: Safari quits itself some time after closing window

Hi everyone,

Unlike the crashes many other users have been experiencing my problem seems more subtle yet no less annoying. I observed that if I close my current Safari browser window (but not quitting it) then after some time the indicator light under the Safari icon would turn off. If I immediately check the Force Quit Applications list I would still see Safari on it, but if I wait a little longer Safari would indeed disappear from the list.

In short Safari seems to quit itself after I close the browser window. It's not like a crash since there's no unexpected closing of the browser window when I'm browsing websites. Neither do I get a crash report. Safari simply decides it should quit after I close my current browser window.

This is strange because closing a Safari window should not cause the application to quit completely unless I manually do so. I tried resetting Safari but I don't think it's making a difference either. Does anyone have a clue what's going on here 😕

Regards,

James

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion, 15", 2012 model

Posted on Aug 6, 2012 4:26 AM

6 replies

Sep 30, 2012 7:47 AM in response to JamesMok

Hi all

I (started to) notice this "abnormality" too! At first I thought it was just me...

I would launch Safari and go into my Facebook for a while, sometimes I would leave the window or shrink/minimise the window to the Dock, other times I just close the window but leave Safari on.

After few hours I come back to discover Safari has quit, I would have to re-launch again, I thought I had previously quit the browser. But later on I'm quite sure I did, because the History was not cleared (I always clear History and Cache before I quit Safari for good)

Yes, I did not experience this before, it does not crash out or something, just "quietly quit" in the background.

Cheers

ML: Safari quits itself some time after closing window

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.