Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

RAIDing two harddrives on Mac Pro for HD video capture

Hello.

I'm running OS X 10.7.4 on a Mac Pro 2.8 GHz Quad Core Intel Xeon with 6GB RAM.

I have 2x 500GB Seagate 7200RPM SATA Harddrives installed. At the moment my OS is on HDD1 and Capture drive is on HDD2.

I'd like to combine the two Harddrives into 1x Bootable RAID drive which could also be used for High Definition video capture.

The reason for this is that the Mac Pro is a teaching machine with 20+ user accounts. When I previously captured footage in Final Cut Pro X to my Capture drive (HDD2) it captures direct to the root of that drive no matter which user was logged on.

You can capture to user-specific folders [fish(account name)/movies/Final Cut Events/] if you capture to the bootable OS drive, but for obvious reasons I don't want to do that.

So, my question is: What are the pros and cons of RAIDing two drives together into a bootable drive which is also fast enough for HD video capture, and f you were to RAID two drives together, which RAID level would you choose?

With many thanks in advance for any assistance you can give,

Lawrence

Final Cut Pro X, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Aug 6, 2012 4:53 AM

There are no replies.

RAIDing two harddrives on Mac Pro for HD video capture

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.