Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Canon 5D MkII not detecting in iMovie and Photo Booth

Background:

Until a few weeks ago we were using a Panasonic N28 Camcorder to take photos via Photo Booth and record videos via Image Capture. We had it connected using Firewire and maybe we also had USB too and it was able to shoot videos via iMovie'11 too. We now replaced this model with a Canon 5D MkII.

Issue:

Our Canon 5D MkII replaced our camcorder and it's connected via usb to our MAC running Mountain Lion and iMovie'11 with the latest update, yet it is not recognised by iMovie & Photobooth. It it unable to be selected and used instead of the iSight camera. It works fine in Image Capture so there is no hardware issues with the Canon 5D MkII. I can import recorded movies into iMovie'11 also.

What is the issue? Is there anything I need to download from Apple? Can my Canon 5D MkII be used in place of my Apple iSight camera?

Please help if you can.

iPhone 4S, iOS 5.0.1, Mac OSX 10.6.8 & iTunes 10

Posted on Aug 6, 2012 7:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 6, 2012 7:48 AM

The Canon 5D is intended to be used as a camcorder. You need to make movies using the 5D and then import to iMovie later. It cannot be used as an isight camera. iSight cameras are much lower quality than your 5D.

4 replies

Aug 6, 2012 8:02 AM in response to AppleMan1958

I guess that may be a valid point, the Panasonic N28 Camcorder was of relatively low grade certainly not HD.

So if I want a better camera to use in place of the isight camera, am I best off going with a webcam?

My Panasonic was had a screw mount so I put a very wide lense on it. i also was able to vary the depth of field and achieve really good results. This is why I wanted the 5D to be used, and need an alternative.

Canon 5D MkII not detecting in iMovie and Photo Booth

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.