Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No Dual boot screen after up-grading Lion to Mountain Lion

Hi all,

I've got a bootcamp partition on my drive for windows 7, had it in Lion and it worked perfectly fine holding down the option key to change systems no problem.

Then I up-graded to Mountain Lion - the partition is still there, the data is still present but when I hold down the option key on boot up the screen stays blank I don't have anything on the screen i.e. no dual boot screen....

I tried pressing the arrow keys on the keyboard then pressed the enter key that I would normally press to change drives to start Windows into bootcamp and there is Windows starting up no problem!

It's strange, it's works but the screen is blank so I can't see what I'm doing when I switch between systems, I have to remember what I've pressed to know that I've got the right drive selected.

Also when the Mac now starts up into Mountain Lion I used to have a white screen with the Apple logo in the middle of the screen when starting up, now I don't get this the only time the screen comes on now is about a second before the OS X is loaded (Don't know if there's a link there??)

I don't want to have to re-build Windows 7 and the bootcamp as there's some specific drivers within windows for some hardware which I have that took forever to figure out how to get it working...

BootCamp-OTHER, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Aug 6, 2012 7:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 16, 2012 1:03 AM

Hi everyone,

So I've managed to resolve my own problem....For anyone else with this same problem this is how I resolved it.

By zapping the PRAM....here's how for those who require instructions....

Restart your Mac, by either turning it off then on again for simply selecting restart from the Apple menu in OS X.

Hold down the option key (It says "Alt" on the key) and the command key + P + R keys - so that's four keys to press in total as soon as you can while the Mac is restarting.

You'll hear the Mac chimes keep holding the keys down, the machine will shut down again and restart - you'll hear the chimes again, keep holding down the keys until you have heard the chimes three or four times.

Then release the keys the Mac will then start up as normal, when it's booted, restart the machine again then hold down the option key as you normally would to access the dual boot screen and it should now be working - it worked for me so hopefully it'll for for others as well.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 16, 2012 1:03 AM in response to PeteSkinner

Hi everyone,

So I've managed to resolve my own problem....For anyone else with this same problem this is how I resolved it.

By zapping the PRAM....here's how for those who require instructions....

Restart your Mac, by either turning it off then on again for simply selecting restart from the Apple menu in OS X.

Hold down the option key (It says "Alt" on the key) and the command key + P + R keys - so that's four keys to press in total as soon as you can while the Mac is restarting.

You'll hear the Mac chimes keep holding the keys down, the machine will shut down again and restart - you'll hear the chimes again, keep holding down the keys until you have heard the chimes three or four times.

Then release the keys the Mac will then start up as normal, when it's booted, restart the machine again then hold down the option key as you normally would to access the dual boot screen and it should now be working - it worked for me so hopefully it'll for for others as well.

No Dual boot screen after up-grading Lion to Mountain Lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.