Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro (Retina) constantly freezes after waking up from sleep mode

Ever since I upgraded from Lion to Mountain Lion, the computer freezes when waking up from sleep mode. I only see the mouse pointer, nothing else. It can only be fixed by pressing the power button and waiting until the computer reboots. Anyone else having this problem?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Aug 6, 2012 9:17 AM

38 replies

Aug 9, 2012 6:59 AM in response to doonot

I am having the exact same problem on rMBP with Mountain Lion. Overall the computer is great but occasionally when I wake it from sleep (usually in the morning after it has been asleep for many hours) the entire thing is frozen except for the ability to move the mouse and the only fix is a hard restart via the power button.

I have not yet tried to do a reinstall of Mountain Lion as I am hoping for a 10.8.1 release to come soon that may address this. Has resinstalling Mountain Lion fixed this for anyone?

Aug 25, 2012 5:11 AM in response to doonot

having the same problem on the new MBAir. if i left it sleeping more than 5-10 mins , it wouldn't recover. with 10.8.1 it looked like it was fixed. then i left it in sleep mode overnight and the next day most of the applications won't open, crashing during the launch. on top of it, during restarting to fix the issue, screen went all noisy (like no signal on old tvs). after the restart, most icons on menubar have disappeared, as well as all the safari menu buttons ( forward, back, etc..)

Aug 29, 2012 5:37 PM in response to doonot

Good to see I am not the only one!

Just purchased a new MBP Retina with 16GB Ram and the unit is a machine! Only problem is, every time the screen saver kicks in and goes for a little while - the computer goes to sleep. I come back to the computer (please note I have not shut the lid) and press a button and I can see the screen saver again. The mouse works, however the screen saver will not "stop" so essentially the unit has frozen.

On another investigation, I had VMware Fusion Windows 7 running on a 2nd screen (connected to the MBP). The computer went to sleep, I came back and clicked the mouse and the same issue occured. The difference this time is that I could use Windows 7 no problem on the external screen, however the MBP screen was frozen on the screen saver.

On all occasions the only way I can fix this is to hold down the power button.

I also wanted to note that only the DISPLAY is set to sleep... the computer is not going to sleep until I have left it idle for 2hrs (my setting in Energy Saver). On all occasions I am only leaving the display to sleep and going back to the computer after maybe 30 mins.

I have also tried turning off "Enable Power Nap" however this does not help.

PLEASE HELP!!!

Cheers.

Aug 30, 2012 8:42 AM in response to doonot

I am having the same problem, on my iMac and MacBook Pro Retina. I've clean installed about 4 times Mountain Lion and it didn't fix it. I am getting annoyed each time I have to get back to work to open my MacBook and see it frozen with a wheel spinning and unable to do anything but to force quit. Is there an update on Mountain Lion coming up soon for this?

Thanks.

Aug 31, 2012 10:44 AM in response to alexandernj

I had a MacBook Pro from early 2011 with the same issue. After much troubleshooting it was determined that my Solid State drive required a firmware update. The drive I was using was an OCZ Agility 4 SATA III drive. Once I downloaded the update from their site and applied it, the spinning wheel lockup issue went away. There must have been something in the factory firmware of the drive that would not allow the drive to wake up from sleep properly.

Cheers.

Aug 31, 2012 5:15 PM in response to doonot

This si SO bloody frustrating. I shelled out nearly $5k for this MBP and all I have is a fast computer that constantly freezes!

I have done more testing:

1. I have removed the "automatic graphics switching" option in Energy Saver. Both with this OFF and ON, the computer still freezes.

2. I have enabled and disabled "Powernap" and with both of these on and off - the problem still happens.

3. I thought it was happening only when I was running VMware Fusion - however this is not the case... it is happening regardless.

4. Running on Batter and Power - still happens.

5. Programs running / nothing running - still happens.

6. I thought it might be happening only when connected to an external monitor - this is not the case (it is happening both when connected to a monitor and also when not connected to a monitor)

7. I thought it might be happening when connected to ethernet via the thunderbolt adapter - this is not the case. It is happening both when connected to ethernet, and also when just using wi-fi

Just to clarify:

MBP 15" with Retina Display

Version 10.8.1

16GB Ram

2.6GHz

768SSD Hard Drive

COME ON APPLE - FIX THIS BLOODY PROBLEM!!!

I just got this less than a week ago - i don't know if it is hardware related, software related - any advice is great!

Aug 31, 2012 6:39 PM in response to lghawkins_2012

lghawkins_2012 wrote:

Just to clarify:

MBP 15" with Retina Display

Version 10.8.1

16GB Ram

2.6GHz

768SSD Hard Drive

COME ON APPLE - FIX THIS BLOODY PROBLEM!!!

I just got this less than a week ago - i don't know if it is hardware related, software related - any advice is great!

I'll tell exactly what you need to do.

You need to take it back and get a Full Refund under the Apple 14 days No Question Asked Return Policy.

Get your money back and move on.

MacBook Pro (Retina) constantly freezes after waking up from sleep mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.