Skip navigation

In "about this mac" on my macbook air the model is wrong...

648 Views 14 Replies Latest reply: Aug 8, 2012 3:32 PM by sinoue RSS
Lupi26 Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Aug 6, 2012 9:07 AM

In the UI "about this mac" on my MacBook Air (middle 2011) the model is wrong, it's appear MacBook Pro. Does anyone knows why??? It was the same with the first update of Lion (10.7.1) and now with the upgrade ML too...

MacBook Air (11-INCH, MID 2011), OS X Mountain Lion
  • Jpextreme Calculating status...

Did you buy your mac from an authorized retailer? I'm not implying anything nor accusing you of anything, but if you bought it through someone on craigs list, for example, it may be possible they could have loaded counterfeight software or something of the like. Then again i'm just speculating.

• sinoue Level 2 Level 2 (175 points)

Weird.  Your Mac Book Air doesn't have a disc drive correct?  Otherwise you do have a pre 2012 Mac Book Pro!

Post your Mac's info.

Apple Icon > About This Mac > System Report

It should come up with a summary of HARDWARE.  Copy/Paste the info into your reply. 

For reference here's my info (you can delete the serial and hardware # if you have privacy concerns)

Hardware Overview:

Model Name:          MacBook Air

Model Identifier:          MacBookAir4,2

Processor Name:          Intel Core i7

Processor Speed:          1.8 GHz

Number of Processors:          1

Total Number of Cores:          2

L2 Cache (per Core):          256 KB

L3 Cache:          4 MB

Memory:          4 GB

Boot ROM Version:          MBA41.0077.B0F

SMC Version (system):          1.73f65

It looks like your About this Mac knows it is a MacBook Air in the details.

Where are you seeing it say MacBook Pro? The overview screen?

MAcBook Air screen.png

Hi Lupi26,

You're problem statement was that the UI stated you had a MacBook Pro.

Where are you seeing the UI that tells you your Mac is a MacBook Pro and not a MacBook Air?

If you go to the Apple Icon > About This Mac > More Info

What does this screen show?  I posted my UI screenshot of a MacBook Air for you to compare.

To post your screen shot you can hold the command key and the shift key and then hit the "4" key to bring up the screenshot utility.  Drag the + icon around the screenshot you want to show.  You can crop it so your serial # doesn't show. 

Then hit reply and use the camera icon to attach the screenshot image that is on your desktop to this message.

I just tried switching my Mac to Italian and after restarting checked my About screen to see if I could recreate your problem.  I failed.  It showed up correclty, but in my case it still showed the English string translation for the model size and year (instead of 13 pollici, Meta 2011 I got 13-inch, Mid 2011).

This makes me think there is a string translation error somewhere else.  I'd be curious if other Italian MacBook AIr users have the same issue.  If you change your system preference, language & text, from Italian to Enlgish I'm guessing it'll still show the same problem.

Do you also own a MacBook Pro?  Supposedly the serial number is linked to the Mac model.  Did you ever reinstall the OS?  If every default install had this issue every Italian user would be running into it.  Might check the Italian forums to see if this is a known issue, or your setup is unique.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.  I'm guessing the error of identifying the wrong Mac is just a cosmetic issue, but I agree it is annoying.

You might be able to hack the string to show the correct model, but I don't the correct steps, and for stability I'd recommend not changing it.  I think you should contact Apple.  Maybe you'll get a swapped out MacBook if they can't resolve it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rh11Ml3QYEY

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=273479

• Sissona Calculating status...

I a have an "italian" 2012 13" MBA on which I have set english as default language.I have just checked out and the About screen shows the correct model in both languages.

I am runnning Mountain Lion but I am sure it was correct with Lion as well.

I do think you should contact Apple.

Congrats!  I have no idea how you figured it out, but hopefully it will help the next person with an incorrect about this mac account to edit the System Profiler.plist or create a new account. 

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.