Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What type of battery for a Power Mac G5?

I need to replace the battery in my Power Mac G5 (late 2004). I know how it's done, but nohwere in the manuals does it actually list the battery type, other than a "3.6V Lithium." Is there a model number or something?

My thanks in advance,

G5 Power Mac, MacMini 80, 15, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Aug 6, 2012 12:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 6, 2012 1:28 PM

You want the half-AA 3.6 volt Lithium battery. Most often, the two brands are Tadiran or Saft. Two most-common Tadiran numbers are TL-2150/S and TL-5902/S.

A link to a SAFT battery:

http://www.atbatt.com/product/3441.asp

A link to a Tadiran battery:

http://www.atbatt.com/product/21511.asp

Apple from time to time supplied batteries from either manufacturer.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 6, 2012 1:28 PM in response to Raoul_Duke

You want the half-AA 3.6 volt Lithium battery. Most often, the two brands are Tadiran or Saft. Two most-common Tadiran numbers are TL-2150/S and TL-5902/S.

A link to a SAFT battery:

http://www.atbatt.com/product/3441.asp

A link to a Tadiran battery:

http://www.atbatt.com/product/21511.asp

Apple from time to time supplied batteries from either manufacturer.

Aug 6, 2012 2:11 PM in response to old comm guy

Thanks for the details. It should be enough to find the right widget, even here in the battery-unfriendly Belgium.

Admittedly, I could have opened up my Mac and looked at the old dead battery, but the fewer times I have to crack it open, the better.😉 I have a tendency to upgrade things pointlessly but at great expense just because I have the silly thing open...

Merci encore!

Aug 6, 2012 7:50 PM in response to old comm guy

As a postscript to my above post, in case the links go dead, here is a picture of the two most common 3.6 volt Lithium PRAM batteries which go in a whole bunch of Mac models from my first Mac IIci up to the early 2005 G5 towers (with a normal AA battery for reference):

User uploaded file

The Tadiran battery in the picture was just removed from a Power Mac 7200/120 that has been out of service for a while (probably was the second one into the machine, given the 1999 build year), and the Saft was pulled from my G5 a few weeks ago after about three years service. That was just periodic maintenance, as the battery was still fine, just not fresh.

Aug 7, 2012 12:57 AM in response to BDAqua

BDAqua wrote:

Great work as usual OCG! 🙂

I've been doing some organizing this summer and have come across some pretty interesting stuff. One thing I haven't kept, apparently, is one of those odd PRAM batteries that were in some of the Performas and maybe some of the SE boxes. You know, the square goober with the Velcro™ mounting scheme? I still have the long (12 inch) Torx™ screwdriver needed to get into some of those things.

Time to repress some memories again, I guess.😝

Aug 7, 2012 3:41 PM in response to BDAqua

BDAqua wrote:

Yeah, the 4.5 volt ones...

User uploaded file

Then the earlier 4.5v for Macintosh 128K, Macintosh 512K, 512KE, and Macintosh Plus...

User uploaded file

That 4.5 volt cell dates back to when I could only afford a typewriter, TI calculator, and had to use stamps to send mail, and the only computing I was doing was through a VT-100 terminal (at least a step up from a Hollerith punch). I note for the record that the lower picture depicts the last PRAM battery that was fundamentally easy to replace, thank you very much. At least by the time we got to the Gee Macs you didn't have to eviscerate the machine to add RAM or change batteries.

What type of battery for a Power Mac G5?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.