Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Notification Center = No sound?

Hi,

I upgraded from OS 10.7.8 the other day to ML.

I have set up my mail and kept it running all the time. The Alert Style is set to "Alerts" and I have always checked the "play sound when receiveing notifications" but WHENEVER I receive a new mail. I dont hear any sound at all? I have tried a dozen of times and rechecking and play with the settings but still cant get it to work. I really need the notification sounds because I cant always notice the alert popup as Im working.

Can anyone help me? Thank you.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Aug 6, 2012 6:02 PM

7 replies

Nov 29, 2013 7:34 PM in response to nudeldieb

I have os 10.8.5. I get an alert sound in Mail, it's in Mail preferences, there is a check box for New Message Sound, and under that there is a checkbox for 'Play sounds for other mail actions.' I don't know if other actions will work, but i do get an alert sound when i get new mail. But there is quite a delay on the sound. There's a delay on receiving the message anyway, i mean, if i send myself a mail to test it, it takes a while for the mail to come to my inbox, which is annoying--a couple of minutes at least. But then, after teh mail comes in, it's still a while longer and then, pretty much out of context, an alert sound goes off.

The problem i'm having which led me to open this thread after a search is that i'm not getting any alert sounds in notifications. Like Calendar--if the event comes, a little message is posted in the upper right of the screen but no alert sound, even though Notification Center has a checkbox for playing an alert sound for the Calendar application. Same thing with Reminders, same thing with Unplugged whicih is a third party battery status app, in the preferences for the application and in the Notification Center preferences, sound alert is selected, but no sould plays. On these forums, i can see as a search this topic that there are people who are getting sound. I want to find out how.

Notification Center = No sound?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.