Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Line styles on Pages

Is there a way to change the line style (border) around the high school newsletter in Pages? It comes uneven. I'd like to change it to an even line at the top, bottom and sides.

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.4.7)

Posted on Aug 6, 2012 6:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 6, 2012 6:25 PM

Select the border and you will notice small xs in the corners, it is locked.

Pages > Arrange > Unlock. Then set the border you want to use.

Best.

20 replies

Aug 8, 2012 7:35 AM in response to Ashka

Hopeful you can help with 1 other question (a task thrown at me just when I thought my newsletter was done).

Is there a way I can insert text so that it starts at the very bottom of the second column and goes over a little into the third (of a three column newsletter)? When I insert the text, it spills over to the top of the third column.

Aug 10, 2012 12:58 PM in response to Ashka

Calling on your wisdom/expertise yet again.

I created a logo box (with text and a couple of images) that I slapped at the top of Word Document in Pages. I'd like to use it every time I go to write a news release in Word.

Thing is, when I exported it as a Word document, the conversion screwed it all up. Is there another way I should be doing this?

Thanks!!!

Aug 10, 2012 1:30 PM in response to infoguy

Saving as Word in whichever version of Word you are using often screws stuff up.

I'd look seriously at making a template of your newsletter. Pages > Help > Templates. Then you will have it ready for the next one.

There are lots of options there for place holders, type, logos etc. Do try out your template and save into word before writing the next newsletter. 🙂 You could try saving as pdf instead .. under the print menu in Apple software..

Aug 10, 2012 2:33 PM in response to Ashka

Thanks! I had one other issue. I copied an image from a Word file and pasted it onto my newsletter template in Pages. It looked fine there. However, when I converted the template to a pdf, several lines showed up next to the image, as if part of a text box copied over. Any idea what would cause that? Have a great weekend. You've been a tremendous help!!!

Aug 10, 2012 7:51 PM in response to Ashka

No, it wasn't a placeholder. I was trying to copy and paste a person's handwritten signature at the bottom of a column of text. I was sent the signature in a bmp file, but it wouldn't paste. That's when I copied and pasted it onto a Word file, put it on my desktop, then copy and pasted it onto Pages. But again, strange that the lines didn't show up on the page; I only saw them when I exported to a pdf and opened it.

Aug 10, 2012 8:33 PM in response to infoguy

Best to make all the boxes for graphics etc placeholders in your template. Some info in pic attached above more in the help file.

A good template will save you hours of work and is really worth getting right.

.bmp format isn't often used on Macs although preview will open them and probably save them into a different forrmat for you. Can't go too wrong with .jpeg or .tiff

Anyway, relax, it will all make some sort of sense eventually. 🙂

Aug 13, 2012 12:32 PM in response to Ashka

God, I hope so. I created a letterhead template which I saved in "My Templates." I'd like to use it in Word documents, so that I can just add text underneath it (in a letter or news release), but I need the text under the letterhead to be editable. Won't work saving as pdf and the letterhead template is screwed up when I save to Word or Rich Text Format and open up. Any suggestions? Thanks again for all your help.

Aug 13, 2012 2:02 PM in response to infoguy

Good Morning..

OK.. The major problem is that you are mixing Pages with Word. Oil & Water, wont work.

Pages templates are for Pages only you cannot expect the templates to work in Word .

When the newsletter issue has been finished in Pages > then save in word or preferably pdf to send out.

I saved the Pages builtin highschool newsletter template as Word.. pic attached.

User uploaded file

If you set up your own Pages newsletter template you can then reuse it in Pages everytime you need a newsletter..

If you want a template to use in 'Word" you will have to make it in Word.. (but no idea how..)

Best.

Line styles on Pages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.