7 Replies Latest reply: Aug 9, 2012 3:54 AM by lynnie61
IamTheMustangGuy Level 1 (0 points)

I am having a problem with my relatively new 6month old imac.

Please I am hoping to find some really smart (& hopefully patient)  mac users for help. I  appreciate all the time mac uers help members with there questions. Yuy guys really are an invaluable resource.

So here's my situation a few wks back i started noticing my imac seemed to be running slow, after that different programs like Firefox, and Safari seemed to be freezing and appear to "not respond". But things have been busy and just put it on the side.

Now around July or so Safari seems to be almost totally unstable. i starting being subjected to constant Safari problems like the browser constantly closing, yet FireFox (14.0.1) appeared to be relatively problem-free.

My wife starting finding strang emails that were supposedly quarantined so I decided to run a virus Scan. I went to the app's store to see which virus Scans were popular and downloaded Norton from the  store. I have gotten  mixed results from: my poor Mac being possibly sickened with: Malware (This was what was shown
"Sokobanbuild.xsl")  than sometimes the scan appeared to report no problems, and i have been unable to find such a file on my Harddrive

I was under the very naive impression that Mac's were rarely affected to these types of virus and such. I am by no means a mac guru so please be gentle. I tried to search on here and got even more confused, I looked for update to the OS as i thought there was somekind of download avaiklable, but became more confused and frustrated.

Thanks so much in advance, i really appreciate the prescious time everyone takes to read this or help myself or other users.

please I am in a real bind here, and hoping for some sort of solution that doesn't involve me having to re-format the Harddrivre and re-install everything, or booting up with a cd. I was also hoping to upgrade to the new Mountain Lion OS, which I assume I should wait till this gets fixed.

please any and all help would be greatly appreciated, thanks so much in advance !!!!!!

FYI: If this helps here are some of my mac's info:

Processor: 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory: 4 GB
Firefox 14.0.1

thanks again

- iamTheMustangGuy

Mac OS X (10.7.4)
  • Paul_31 Level 6 (13,550 points)

It's possible that installing Norton may have added to your problems. Although I have no personal experience of the software (well not for many years) reports on here often describe a very negative experience and it often seems to cause more problems than it solves. I'd suggest at this point you download the uninstaller and remove all traces of Norton:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/norton-support/jsp/help-solutions.jsp?docid=2008 0427024142EN&product=home&pvid=f-home&version=1&lg=english&ct=us

The one anti-virus program that gets recomended on here for playing nice on Macs is the free/donationware clamXav: www.clamxav.com

If you do uninstall Norton and run clamXav, see how the Mac behaves for a couple of days and if you continue to have issues, report back and I'm sure you'll get some good advice on how to resolve your problems.

• seventy one Level 6 (12,665 points)

In reply to a recent post of mine, madmacs0 responded with an assessment of Norton ... and a more balanced and informative post would be hard to find.   Do read it.

I need to preface my remarks to explain why I have not spoken up on this subject here before.

I was an early adopter of Norton Anti-Virus when Peter Norton owned it. It, along with the even better Norton Utilities saved my bacon more than once when running Apple's Classic OS. At the time I would have recommended it to most any Mac user. Then Symantec bought Peter out and things went rapidly down hill. The last chance I gave them to get it back on track was SystemWorks 2.0 and Internet Security 1.0 back in the OS 9 era. Despite a number of bug fix releases, I had to disable most of it and then remove it entirely. That's the last time I actually ran a Norton product on any of my Macs.

So I have no current experience with either NAV or the new iAntiVirus at this point and can't speak with authority on their worth. So feel free to ignore anything else I may have to say here.

I guess my bottom line would be that I think it has an undeserved bad reputation based on user experience from many years ago. I don't remember the last time I read a first person account of individual user issues in modern times. You chose your words carefully, which is appropriate, but I'll bet there are a lot of "experts" here who condemn it without ever having recent hands on experience.

There are a lot of reasons for their reputation, most well deserved. It's been said that Symantec never invented a single piece of software (not sure that's true any more, either), but rather purchased the works of others to either kill the competition or enhance their bottom line. They were a very different company in those days, with a different management style, etc.

So I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out to be at least as good as whatever has the best reputation among Commercial Mac A-V vendors today. They seem to be on top of most all the OS X malware, even though they don't spend a lot of time blogging about it. I know a lot of IT professionals who swear by their enterprise level software. I suspect that their software no longer behaves any worse than the others that operate at the kernel extension level (always dangerous for third parties). But their reputation seems to be their unending albatross.

I hope madmacs0 will not mind me copying his post like this.

• Klaus1 Level 8 (47,600 points)

Norton Antivirus (made by Symantec) has a very long and illustrious reputation for mangling Mac OS X systems, sometimes to the point where a complete reinstall is necessary. Among other things, it installs kernel extensions which are known to cause kernel panics and system freezes; it contains known and documented bugs which can silently corrupt Adobe Photoshop and Adobe InDesign files, destroy a user's ability to authenticate as an administrator, and (on PPC systems) can cause Classic to stop functioning; and Symantec has on at least two occasions now released flawed .dat file updates which erroneously report certain critical Mac OS X files as "viruses." (Deleting these "viruses" causes damage to the system that in some cases renders it unbootable.)

Norton Removal Tool (Symantec Uninstaller):

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH103489&locale =en_US

And now this, from 11 January 2012:

Lawsuit Claims Symantec "Scareware" Warns Of Fake Threats To Sell Upgrades

http://www.forbes.com/sites/andygreenberg/2012/01/11/lawsuit-claims-symantecscar eware-warns-of-fake-threats-to-sell-upgrades/

No viruses that can attack OS X have so far been detected 'in the wild', i.e. in anything other than laboratory conditions.

You will find this User Tip on Viruses, Trojan Detection and Removal, as well as general Internet Security and Privacy, useful:

The User Tip (which you are welcome to print out and retain for future reference) seeks to offer guidance on the main security threats and how to avoid them.

• roam Level 6 (13,565 points)

Don't mention the 'v word'  here. It has the same effect as mentioning sex or religion in polite society. Passions inflame!

About the problem of your misbehaving Mac, ( I noticed you said you installed Norton in reaction to it slowing down) is this slowness just browser related or is also noticeable with other applications, particularly memory heavy ones like Photoshop or similar?

If it is only browser related have you tried a simple thing to do in Safari which is to empty the cache, and cookies? This is found in the menu under Safari > Reset Safari.

Personally I also like to delete all flash cookies, as well from;

YourHomeFolder/Library/Preferences/Macromedia/Flash Player.

You can safely delete everything in that folder.

Try those simple things first and see how Safari goes.

• IamTheMustangGuy Level 1 (0 points)

Wow it really scary and extremely pathetic the lengths a company would go to.

I don't really use that many programs aside from Safari, Microsoft Office and sometimes iPhoto. Yes they have appeared to stop responding from time to time but they haven't been totally unstable either.

I'm not a big fan of iPhoto, its only being used for the the time being until I find a program I  that I can use instead of iPhoto, its tough as I am not a pro, i don't use a DSLR and am not versed in Photoshop, maybe there is an in between

I have been so afraid of Safari that I tried to make it out of sight out of mind and took it off my tool bar and have been using Firefox and sometimes Google chrome.

In terms of flash I am a little confused (is it generally a bad idea or just one of those things that depends from user to user) as i thought I either didn't install it or took it off my mac, but after doing the removal of the anti-virus prog I was in the system pref setting and under the other section listed were the following: flip4MacWMV & Flash (today a friend happened to use this computer for a minute and said they had to logon some website and got some type of msg about not having flash installed. So was that website tricking me and I really have flash or I don't have it.

I just downloaded but haven't yet installed ClamXav

Also I need to backup my files (I know I'm way overdue)

i was thinking of using one of those services that backups your files remotely (i.e. mozy, carbonite)

Should I use time machine ?

Than  I am going to install clam antivirus  and I am keeping my fingers crossed this is nothing major or that this problem can  just be a  simple fix

i really cant thank everyone enough I am very sorry for all the wordiness and length ramblings.

Thanks for being so patient as well you have no idea how much I appreciate it.

I am  going to keep updating this thread as the days progress. thanks !!!!

• Paul_31 Level 6 (13,550 points)

Quite a few questions . I'll see if I can offer some suggestions, but firstly, have you fully uninstalled Norton using their uninstaller?

Back-up: if you don't have a back-up system currently in place do it now. Get an external drive and either use Time Machine, which once set up works quietly in the background, or get Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper! which make bootable clones. If the hard drive ever fails in the Mac, install a new one, boot up from the clone and copy back all your data and your digital life in the click of a button - brilliant. It's a bit of a cliché, but there are allegedly two kinds of hard drives: ones that have failed and ones that haven't failed yet .

Flash: If Flash is listed in your System Preferences it's likely installed and running. Firefox and Safari would flag up a message on sites you visit that require Flash - something along the lines of 'Missing Plug-in', with just a blank space where  there should be content. Chrome has it's own Flash built-in, so if that was your browser of choice you could uninstall the standalone version of Flash by using Adobe Flash Player Install Manager in your Utilities folder. If you do this, Flash content won't display in Firefox/Safari but will be fine in Chrome.

The only place you should download Flash from is adobe.com

Flip4Mac: It's a plug-in that enables the viewing of Windows Media files (I believe)

iPhoto: depending what your needs are, it may be worth persevering with iPhoto as it does do quite a lot with regard to basic image manipulation and managing your photo library. Photoshop is a powerful app that is expensive and has a steep learning curve. It's really more for graphics professionals. Pixelmator is a much cheaper and useful alternative but not yet a replacement for the power of Photoshop.

No harm in installing and running clamXav, you'll see that it has a good reputation with those that prefer to an anti-virus installed.

Let us know if your Mac is still running slowly as there are no doubt things that contributors on here can suggest.

Anyway, apart from all that, have you got a Mustang?

• lynnie61 Level 1 (40 points)

Other things to check is to run a disk veryification using disk utilities.  probably also worth checking the S.M.A.R.T. status of your hard drive.  I discovered by accident mine recently was "failing" - and the symptoms had been very slow operation for some time.  I pretty much ditched safari AND firefox months ago because they were just too slow for anything - even after updating flash.  Found Google Chrome to be better than both - that might help.  Important to always check for software updates too - and install them.  They tend to all go hand in hand.

As for virus's and malware - the tech that replaced my hard drive two weeks ago said there was no need (still) for anti virus software for mac.