Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB Microphone/Headset Adaptor for iPhone&iPad?

I have a certain USB microphone/headset that is especially effective for a particular purpose. I'd like to use that particular USB headset for a similar application on my iPhone/iPad too. Do any of you know of an sort of adaptor that allows us to connect a USB microphone/headphone headset to iOS devices?

iPhone 4, iOS 5

Posted on Aug 7, 2012 6:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 7, 2012 7:07 AM

no usb don't carry audio at all it's a purely digital serial data interface

the reason usb headsets work is because they act as an audio card in the eyes of the computer

to act as an audio card the manufactor have to supply drivers for the headset or have the operating system include the drivers

ios devices don't support drivers

maybe if the headset manufactor have an app in app store you can get it to work but personally I doubt it

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 7, 2012 7:07 AM in response to mr88cet

no usb don't carry audio at all it's a purely digital serial data interface

the reason usb headsets work is because they act as an audio card in the eyes of the computer

to act as an audio card the manufactor have to supply drivers for the headset or have the operating system include the drivers

ios devices don't support drivers

maybe if the headset manufactor have an app in app store you can get it to work but personally I doubt it

Aug 7, 2012 7:35 AM in response to Rudegar

OK, thanks for the reply.

I seem to recall that certain device types, like disk drives and audio devices, have a standardized USB interface. That is, no device-specific driver is required (assuming that they design to the standard, of course). I guess then what you're saying then is the iOS devices don't have that standard audio-device driver. I guess that's a not-unreasonable choice on Apple's part.

I suppose another possibility might be somebody making a (small, light, preferably in-line) adaptor from USB audio to 8th-inch pin plug - essentially a very-small, very-simple USB-interfaced A/D-D/A). I looked for such a thing on Amazon, and didn't see anything like that, but perhaps I didn't use the right keywords. Then again, such a device would presumably need a battery, which would probably contradict the "small and light" criteria! :-)

USB Microphone/Headset Adaptor for iPhone&iPad?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.