Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2 IP addresses?

In System Prefernces:Network:Advanced I am given an IP address, and when I use a third party app or website to tell me my IP address I am given a different one. Why? What is the difference?

MacBook (13-inch Late 2009), Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Aug 7, 2012 8:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 7, 2012 8:20 AM

The IP address you find in System Preferences is the Private (LAN-side) IP address of your computer. The IP address you are getting from the third-party app or website is (most likely) the Public (WAN-side) IP address of your router.

3 replies

Aug 7, 2012 8:34 AM in response to JediMaster81078

Public lP addresses are what are "seen" on the Internet. Private IP addresses are only available on your local network and are not "seen" from the Internet. Your router has a feature, called NAT, that allows more than one computer on the local network to share the Public IP address provided to you by your ISP.

Private IP addresses are in one of the following IP ranges: 1) 10.0.n.n, 2) 172.16.n.n, or 3) 192.168.n.n

For more information, I would suggest starting with this WikipediA article.

2 IP addresses?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.