Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Web sharing with Apache: Forbidden

My Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion Upgrade broke local web sharing of my ~/Sites/ directories.

I googled around and followed the advice in http://support.apple.com/kb/TA25038 , which matches my problem closely. However, that solution does not repair the problem.

My Sites directory and permissions:

v21837:~ drf$ ls -la ~/Sites

total 7160

drwxr-xr-x 19 drf staff 646 Aug 7 14:06 .

drwxr-xr-x+ 197 drf staff 6698 Aug 6 17:44 ..

-rw-r--r--@ 1 drf staff 12292 Aug 3 21:26 .DS_Store

-rw-r--r-- 1 drf staff 0 Feb 2 2008 .localized

-rw-r--r-- 1 drf staff 3 Aug 7 14:06 00Junk.txt

Safari on http://localhost/~drf/00Junk.txt:

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /~drf/00Junk.txt on this server.

Safari on a non-existent file:

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /~drf/Junk.txtq on this server.

Apache-OTHER, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Aug 7, 2012 11:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 7, 2012 12:33 PM

I solved my problem. I had cut and pasted the information into the /etc/apache2/users/UserName.conf file from a web page and used non-matching up/down quote marks like this:

<Directory /Users/username/Sites/>

rather than matching ones like:

<Directory "/Users/username/Sites/">

Apache seemed to parse it OK with 'apachectl -t', but with the up/down quotation marks, it did not enable my directory, apparently taking the quotes as literal parts of the directory name.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 7, 2012 12:33 PM in response to drf5n

I solved my problem. I had cut and pasted the information into the /etc/apache2/users/UserName.conf file from a web page and used non-matching up/down quote marks like this:

<Directory /Users/username/Sites/>

rather than matching ones like:

<Directory "/Users/username/Sites/">

Apache seemed to parse it OK with 'apachectl -t', but with the up/down quotation marks, it did not enable my directory, apparently taking the quotes as literal parts of the directory name.

Web sharing with Apache: Forbidden

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.