Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Service Battery?

I have a MacBook Pro from late 2010 ( i got it on September)

is out of warranty since I did not get Apple Care.

So question: I have this message on the battery percentange: "Service Battery" follow by a little warning sign.

This is the info on my battery.

Since the computer is out of warranty what can Apple do for me?

the battery seems fine, but the "service battery" indicates that there is something wrong with the battery. So will Apple step up and change the battery for me since I did not "break" the computer, it is the batter that is going bad.

I will make the appoinment at the Apple Store, I just want to know what to expect.

info on my battery:

Model Information:

Serial Number: W003542KKD3LA

Manufacturer: SMP

Device name: bq20z451

Pack Lot Code: 0000

PCB Lot Code: 0000

Firmware Version: 0201

Hardware Revision: 000a

Cell Revision: 0165

Charge Information:

Charge remaining (mAh): 3399

Fully charged: No

Charging: Yes

Full charge capacity (mAh): 4495

Health Information:

Cycle count: 452

Condition: Check Battery

Battery Installed: Yes

Amperage (mA): 1625

Voltage (mV): 12280

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Late 2010

Posted on Aug 7, 2012 4:17 PM

3 replies

Aug 7, 2012 4:42 PM in response to khyronelric

Check battery means the battery is getting questionable, needs to be tested by a tech. The capacity is low for a MacBook Pro, as-built is more like the range of 5-6000 mAh. Voltage looks good, right where it should be in the 11.5 to 12.5 volts range. And teh cycle count is not bad at 452...been through a lot of charge cycles for only two years old.

If you can, have an Apple genius bar tech run some diagnostics on the battery.

Nov 22, 2012 4:57 PM in response to khyronelric

I just wanted to follow up and explain that for some reason, the battery still is in great condition. Still is 78% but, the SERVICE BATTERY sign is gone. I believe is tha charging part of the board that is not working properly. Sometimes the charging cord wont turn on (the little green/amber light) So, yeah, the battery is not at 100% but I still get great battery life.

Thanks for the answers.

Service Battery?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.