Looks like no oneโ€™s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Routine Maintenance

Just curiosity, but does anyone know what goes on during the two hour (or more) periods of routine maintenance. They are becoming increasingly frequent of late.

Mac OS X (10.6.8), With La Cie 500GB external HD

Posted on Aug 7, 2012 4:12 PM

13 replies

Aug 7, 2012 6:26 PM in response to seventy one

seventy one (more or less, lol)--

Usually, they are added new forums, making improvements (hopefully) in the performace of the boards here.

Removing posts are done on the fly all the time. Theyre excellent at getting rid of really nasty posts, often in minutes.

Like, sometime in the morning after maintenance, I really hope to be able to suddenly be able to really go to the last post in a thread in ONE click. They tell me the day is coming. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Aug 7, 2012 7:54 PM in response to seventy one

Actually it's Scheduled Maintenance not Routine Maintenance, a small but important difference.

There are two at least three areas that would require taking the software off-line, one is to apply patches for bug fixes or enhancements the second would be to do maintenance on the database and the thrid woul be to bring more hardware on-line.

There has been a huge surge of users of Apple Support Communities recently and I'm sure this increase has pushed both the software and the hardware running ASC to its limits. So the recent run of Scheduled Maintenance for the site is to be expected.

regards

Aug 8, 2012 12:27 AM in response to TildeBee

Hello ~Bee,

"More or Less".

MORE, ~Bee, more, unfortunately, but good to hear from you. I do wish they'd say what they are improving, though. All this cloak and dagger stuff!

And Frank; thank you, too. There has been a huge surge in Apple's bank balance, I read. I've never understood why they have to do this first thing in the morning and not in the middle of the night. 7 to 9 am in the UK is unreasonable.

Aug 8, 2012 2:47 AM in response to Michael Wasley

In general:

Routine Maintenance would be something you do on a regular basis whether there's an actual problem or not.

Scheduled Maintenance is dealing with an issue which isn't serious, so you can plan when to do it.

Unscheduled Maintenance is dealing with an issue which is serious and needs dealing with asap.

Emergency Maintenance is 'help - it's broken...'

Apple may have its own definitions.

Routine Maintenance

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.