Previous 1 2 Next 27 Replies Latest reply: Feb 5, 2014 7:02 AM by sdf_iain
Pezall Level 1 (0 points)

Since downloading Mountain Lion, Safari won't ask me to save passwords anymore.  I have tried the settings in Safari and the Keychain access.  I'm just confused! The saving passwords option is a life saver/time saver! Any advice?

MacBook, OS X Mountain Lion
  • William Lloyd Level 7 (21,040 points)

Hmmm.  This is working OK for me.

Do you have any old entries in the keychain (check via Keychain Access) for the sites?  I think if you ignore a site, you have to go back to Keychain Access to clean up.

Also, are you using any plugins that might interfere, like 1Password?

• Pezall Level 1 (0 points)

Are extensions the same as plugins? I haven't downloaded anything for "passwords." Should I delete everything in Safari - Preferences - Passwords?

• bajawil Level 1 (0 points)

also an issue with me, but trying to clear safari (and NOT selecting clear logins and PWs) has somehow deleted all my logins and passwords.  some web sites are asking to save (this one did!), but not all.....frustrating.

• hpr3 Level 5 (5,730 points)

Quit Safari. From the Finder click on Go in the menu bar, hold the option key and click on Library. Navigate to Preferences and open the folder. Move the com.apple.safari plist to the trash and empty. Logout/Login or restart. Any better?

yeah still not working, is there a way to pull my saved passwords cashe file from time machine?

my issue is the library directory is hidden...

You can access to you Library per my post. Finder>GO, Hold down the option key and click on Library. Or Go>Go to Folder and typing ~/Library

yes i know but in time machine, i want to access my safari prefs in time machine.....to restore teh pref.

Theres no 'go' menu in time machine.

Start your own post as its confusing to the heplers and the person who originally posted.

OK, but i am having the same issue as the original poster, safari is not saving my logins and passwords.

• Redarm Level 4 (2,580 points)

Just use the "Go" menu in Finder to go to your Safari prefs file, then enter TimeMachine and you'll be in the right place already.

If you want to access the Library outside TimeMachine's interface, Go > Go to Folder, drag your home folder from the TimeMachine directory and add /Library at the end

Thank you!

• Pezall Level 1 (0 points)

I tried your suggestion, restarted the computer...still not working!

• RedGeminiPA Level 1 (50 points)

There's an extension for Safari that works!! I just installed it and tried it out. It's now filling in my PayPal and other passwords that would NOT autofill before. The username and password have to be in Kaychain Access before it will work. For all of us who had this working prior to Safari 6, this shouldn't be an issue, as the info was already in Keychain Access.

If it's a new site that you haven't saved for before, manually add it into Keychain Access.

It appears Safari 6 now complies with websites who have "autocomplete=off" hidden in the URL, which is why passwords aren't automatically populating like before.

Here's the download link for the extension. Clicking this link will automatically download the extension. http://lapcatsoftware.com/downloads/autocomplete.safariextz

• OSX-Wizard Level 1 (0 points)

Folks,

If you have saved passwords in Safari, go to Safari Prefrences and you can see the websites that have passwords saved and websites that never save passwords. If there are saved passwords, go to the website and it should automatically enter your password. If not, go to the toolbar in Safari and hit the button that looks like a pen drawing on a tablet [Autofill forms on this page] This will enter your information and passwords into the fields required.

Previous 1 2 Next