Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Completely ignore internal hard drive- possible?

I know this may seem odd, but there's good reasoning behind it. I want to force my iMac to completely ignore an internal hard drive, right from the word go. I don't want it to mount it, or even notice its there,

Anything I can do on the software side? If not, can I just leave the power/SATA cables unplugged in the Mac? Will the temperature sensor cause the fans to explode into life if I do this? Any other problems this may cause?

I'm quite desperate! Any help is hugely appreciated.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion, 27" i5, 2010

Posted on Aug 7, 2012 6:52 PM

8 replies

Aug 7, 2012 9:29 PM in response to Andy9l

Hi.

It is possible to configure the iMac so that the internal hard disk drive is virtually invisible to the user. The process includes changing the settings in Finder Preferences under the General and Sidebar tabs.

Are you simply trying to remove the HDD from the attention of the User? Or do you actually wish the computer proper to ignore the drive.

The latter is not possible unless another HDD is used to boot the iMac.

A little clarification of your reasons for ignoring the internal HDD would help us point you in the proper direction.

Aug 8, 2012 2:28 AM in response to Andy9l

Thanks for the responses. The reason I want to do this is because I've installed a secondary SSD inside the iMac which has everything on it. The original HDD I want to ignore is extremely noisy, and slow, and was the reason I put an SSD in there.

I have changed the startup disk, of course, and the 1TB drive is completely empty. I don't need it, but had to leave it in there to avoid the 100% fan issue.

I just want to be able to tell my iMac to NEVER mount the HDD automatically. If I use fstab to avoid mounting the HDD partition, the drive still spins into action. This is my reasoning behind perhaps just leaving the internal HDD unplugged - I just don't know if that will cause the temp sensors to go crazy?

Aug 8, 2012 5:04 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Apple claim it is 'normal operational noise' - there is a 3 year long complaint thread about this drive and others here.

You cannot simply replace the HDD with an SSD because of a fan issue. Apple use a proprietary thermal sensor on the HDD which does not work with other HDDs, especially SSDs. If you do replace it, you turn on your Mac to fans permanently running at 100%. Rather than using software to set manual speeds, I'd rather the real thermal sensor stayed operational, for obvious reasons.

I just want to know if the thermal sensor will still operate normally if I disconnect, not remove, the HDD. That is all.

Aug 8, 2012 5:04 AM in response to Andy9l

Yes I know all that but you didn't research it well. Many users have successfully replaced the HD inside a late model iMac with integrated fan sensors. You chose not to take that route and now you're attempting an off beat solution. Personally I have not removed a internal HD in a late model iMac but I know it can be done. I would recommend looking on iFixit.com or contacting OWC for assistance or even searching out an AASP in your area that has done it.

Aug 8, 2012 5:21 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Yes, I realise I could replace the HD, it would have had to be one which worked with Apple's thermal sensor... I didn't want an HD, I wanted an SSD. People are getting by with SSDs by doing either unnecessarily complex hardware work to add external thermal sensors, or risking it with a fan control software.

I think disconnecting the hardrive will cause the thermal sensor issue to arise since there will be no readings from the HD. I will contact OWC today to see what they suggest.

Completely ignore internal hard drive- possible?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.