Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Update/new memory and hard drive

Hello,

I have a 2008 MacBook 2.1GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (13-inch White) MB402LL/A. I continually recieve a message that my "startup disk is almost full" and my programs freeze or "quit unexpectedly". I took my computer in to the Genius Bar to see if they can help me with anything, but the "Genius" only told me that my storage is full (which I had already told him I knew) and I can either buy a new computer or I can easily modify/upgrade the computer I currently have. He went to the Crucial.com website and showed me two items which he recommeded I get if I wanted to update my computer. The first was to update the RAM memory 4GB kit (2GBx2) DDR2 PC2-5300 • CL=5 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR2-667 • 1.8V • 256Meg x 64 • • Part #: CT3265302 to deal with the "slow computer problem" and the second was to update the internal hard drive Western Digital - Scorpio Blue 500GB Internal Serial ATA Hard Drive for Laptops for more file storage. My computer is currently not backed up, so I also purchased a Seagate - FreeAgent GoFlex 1TB External USB 2.0/3.0 Portable Hard Drive. I do not know what my next steps are. I have seen videos and read instruction on how to install the RAM Memory and the internal hard drive, which seems easy and do-able. But my biggest issue is once I put in the new internal hard drive how do I get my stuff back? Would all my software, applications, documents, files, pictures, music, etc. be gone? I have very little computer knowledge so any information, advice, tips would help.

Thanks!🙂

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Aug 7, 2012 8:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 7, 2012 8:37 PM

as how to get your files in your new hard drive, do this.

download carbon copy cloner.....then install it....now follow these steps.

get yourself an external USB enclosure - $10.....

install your new hard drive in that enclosure ( one warning - not trying to scare you - some WD Blue edition have issues with some Macbooks)....

connect your external enclosure to your macbook. open disk utility and format your new hd as mac os extended journaled....close disk utility when done.

open carbon copy cloner - clone your drive - source (your internal drive) to destination (your external drive).

once the clone is done, turn off your macbook and install your new drive in your macbook...turn in back on and you should be up and running.

install your old drive in that usb external enclosure and use it as a back up drive.

good luck

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 7, 2012 8:37 PM in response to yofromthejo

as how to get your files in your new hard drive, do this.

download carbon copy cloner.....then install it....now follow these steps.

get yourself an external USB enclosure - $10.....

install your new hard drive in that enclosure ( one warning - not trying to scare you - some WD Blue edition have issues with some Macbooks)....

connect your external enclosure to your macbook. open disk utility and format your new hd as mac os extended journaled....close disk utility when done.

open carbon copy cloner - clone your drive - source (your internal drive) to destination (your external drive).

once the clone is done, turn off your macbook and install your new drive in your macbook...turn in back on and you should be up and running.

install your old drive in that usb external enclosure and use it as a back up drive.

good luck

Update/new memory and hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.