Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mini/Xcode/OS Mountain Lion issue

Hi everyone,

I'm a complete newbie to macs and I'm having a tough time figuring a couple of things out. I basically bought a mac mini so I can use Xcode. I went to try and download it but when it finishes and I open the Xcode file I get a message that says "Xcode Not Supported On This Archtecture". I hit software upgrade but it stays stuck on version 10.5.8. Then I see that you can pay $20 bucks for the newest Mountain Lion update.

Do I need to get Mountain Lion in order for Xcode to work on my Mac Mini?

For further info, I signed up as a developer and I have the 3 gig version of the Mac Mini. I've heard kind of confusing things regarding Xcode with people saying it's free but others saying you have to pay an annual fee. At the moment I haven't paid for anything relating to Xcode.

Basically my main question is, how do I get Xcode up and running?

Sorry if this is all super rookie bush league but I'm brand new to the mac world.

Thanks for all your help.

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Aug 7, 2012 10:34 PM

6 replies

Aug 8, 2012 8:30 AM in response to lberga

Xcode is free. A basic login to the developer site is free. For $99 you get full membership in the developer program and the ability to release software either in the App Store (depending on either iOS or Mac program). If you are in the Mac developer program you can release software with a Developer ID. You also get access to different versions of the operating system for testing.

The problem is that your Mac Mini is from 2007 at best. It will not run Mountain Lion. You can call Apple (yes - telephone only - no online sales) and purchase either Snow Leopard or Lion. In the developer site you can download an older version of Xcode appropriate for whatever operating system you want to run. That will be enough to learn on. If you ever want to move publishing your apps, you will need a new system.

Mac Mini/Xcode/OS Mountain Lion issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.