Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What are the pros and cons of running iTunes from an SD card with a Retina MBP?

Hello,

I'm thinking about getting a Retina MBP, but I think the default storage of 256GB is way to small to be used as a main computer and the upgrade to 512GB is very expensive. I was thinking of ways to reduce bulky files and was considering running iTunes from an SD card. Does anybody have any experience with doing this, what pros and cons did you discover?

Posted on Aug 8, 2012 2:17 AM

2 replies

Aug 8, 2012 3:27 AM in response to boyfarrell

I wouldn't even try storing multiple iTunes libraries on SD cards. Better idea - what I do - is store the majority of my music on an external hard drive and just my 'must have' tunes on my internal SSD. I have a 512GB SSD and use around 170GB for iTunes. On my external drive, I had about 440GB in tunes (last time I checked).

You can 'switch' libraries by holding down the option key when you launch iTunes. It's the best of both worlds - storage for on-the-go, must-haves, and an entire library of "all" of my music.

256GB should be plenty of space - I just store so much music on my internal SSD because I can!

Clinton

What are the pros and cons of running iTunes from an SD card with a Retina MBP?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.