Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem reinstalling OS X Lion

Ok, so my MacBook Air becomes unresponsive when logging in, and I decided to reinstall OS X Lion. When running the installer from OS X Recovery, it gave the error message "An error occurred while preparing the installation. Try running this application again."

Checking in the log revealed the following error:

Can not connect to /var/run/systemkeychaincheck.socket: No such file or directory

Error!! Error Domain=NSURLErrorDomain Code=-1202 "UNTRUSTED_CERT_TITLE" UserInfo=0x1086bec80 {NSLocalizedDescription=UNTRUSTED_CERT_TITLE, NSLocalizedFailureReason=UNTRUSTED

The rest of the line is cutted off. Does anyone know what went wrong and how to fix it?

Thanks,

lhk

MacBook Air (13-INCH, MID 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Aug 8, 2012 4:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 2, 2016 5:32 AM

I am installing a different hdd in a Macbook Pro to give to friend. After highest security (7 pass) erase on the original disk, then install of MacOS Sierra I decided to go ahead and upgrade it to a larger used hdd. So after installing the drive and using internet recovery to perform the erase/highest security, I kept getting the error: "UNTRUSTED_CERT_TITLE", when trying to reinstall MacOS... (-_Q) #facepalm

I am SO thankful to @snevas for the information:

"The certificate couldn't be verified because a wrong system time (mine was reset to 31/12/2000). You can check by executing `date` from the terminal (is located under the utilities).

To fix the date execute: `date MMDDHHMMYY` (M=Month, D=Day, H=Hour in 24-hour notation, M=Minute and Y=last 2 digits of year).

After this you can install Mac OS..."

You are so right @snevas!!! I am installing Mac OS Sierra on that machine as I type my elated response!!!

Blessings!!!! 🙂 😀 🙂

21 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 2, 2016 5:32 AM in response to Community User

I am installing a different hdd in a Macbook Pro to give to friend. After highest security (7 pass) erase on the original disk, then install of MacOS Sierra I decided to go ahead and upgrade it to a larger used hdd. So after installing the drive and using internet recovery to perform the erase/highest security, I kept getting the error: "UNTRUSTED_CERT_TITLE", when trying to reinstall MacOS... (-_Q) #facepalm

"The certificate couldn't be verified because a wrong system time (mine was reset to 31/12/2000). You can check by executing `date` from the terminal (is located under the utilities).

To fix the date execute: `date MMDDHHMMYY` (M=Month, D=Day, H=Hour in 24-hour notation, M=Minute and Y=last 2 digits of year).

You are so right @snevas!!! I am installing Mac OS Sierra on that machine as I type my elated response!!!

Blessings!!!! 🙂 😀 🙂

Aug 8, 2012 4:54 AM in response to limhk

Are you running this from a USB stick containing the Lion install and Recovery files or from the Recovery HD partition on the internal drive?

Also the Recovery HD system included on the internal drive is called Lion Recovery and if you upgraded to Mt Lion then it is called OS X Recovery. So if you are looking at a screen that says OS X Recovery did you at one time install Mt Lion on that system?

If you did the only way to ge back to Lion is to Wipe the drive and reinstall Lion clean. It can't be installed over the top of Mt Lion.

Jan 20, 2014 1:36 PM in response to limhk

Wow guys, after a hour of trying I finally figured out what the problem was!

The certificate couldn't be verified because a wrong system time (mine was reset to 31/12/2000). You can check by executing `date` from the terminal (is located under the utilities).

After this you can install Mac OS X (in my case Mavericks).

It surpises me that there arn't alot of poeple who encounter this issue. I encountered it during web install and a USB installation I created from the InstallESD.dmg/BaseSystem.dmg .

Nov 21, 2016 6:59 AM in response to jlaurinaitis

I am so sorry for the delay in replying to this... Here's what might help:

"To start up from macOS Recovery, hold down Command (⌘)-R immediately after turning on or restarting your Mac. Release when you see the Apple logo."

(from: About macOS Recovery - Apple Support)

then look across the top of the window for the drop down "Menu" items... "Utilities" is one of those drop down menus from which you can select "Terminal"...

Here is the command you would enter in the "Terminal" app available from the "Utilities" menu in the menu bar while in Internet Recovery Mode:

date MMDDHHMMYY

(where M=Month, D=Day, H=Hour in 24-hour notation, M=Minute and Y=last 2 digits of year)

EXAMPLE:

If we were performing/entering this command in Terminal at 1:45pm (i.e. 13:45) on 11/21/2016, we would enter the following command at the cursor in the Terminal app (without the quotes):

"date 1121134516"

and then hit "enter".

Now that the system date and time has been corrected, we could try again to reinstall the OS, by choosing "Reinstall macOS" and if the certificate error was due to incorrect date/time, the reinstall should now proceed without a problem. (See the Apple knowledge base article: About macOS Recovery - Apple Support for additional information that might be helpful.

I sure hope this helps!

Blessings! 🙂 MegH

Nov 21, 2016 7:16 AM in response to MegHMom

Blessings!!!!

Problem reinstalling OS X Lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.